Where to buy Super 8mm?

Joseph Ivey

I live in Nashville, TN and have a Nikon R-10. Now that the holidays are over I want to get out and use the camera I got in early December. I was looking for a place that will sell film and telecine services separately but also together. If there is a place that does telecine really well, let me know. I am looking at only getting a few rolls right now so I can see what condition the camera that I have is in. It seems to work but I want to test it and learn it before I start shooting a lot.

My question is what are some good places that sell 8mm film stock and telecine services? They don't have to be close to Nashville, but it would be nice to find a place in Atlanta or St. Louis, but I would rather find quality and spend a little more on shipping.

• Premium Member

Hi Joseph,

Buy your film direct from Kodak by calling 1800621FILM

I recommend CinePost in Atlanta for Super 8 Telecine. For more expensive and slightly higher quality telecine I suggest Flying Spot here in Seattle and Spectra Film and Video in Los Angeles. Spectra has some excellent color reversal film stock and processing packages that you should learn about.

have fun. I have had good luck and good results with my R10.

Steve

Hi Joseph,

Buy your film direct from Kodak by calling 1800621FILM

I recommend CinePost in Atlanta for Super 8 Telecine. For more expensive and slightly higher quality telecine I suggest Flying Spot here in Seattle and Spectra Film and Video in Los Angeles. Spectra has some excellent color reversal film stock and processing packages that you should learn about.

have fun. I have had good luck and good results with my R10.

Steve

I appreciate the help. I have another question also, How long, in minutes, is a 50' Super 8mm film cartridge?

• Premium Member

It depends on the frame rate you use for shooting. The R10 shoots Single frame (3600 frames) 18 frames per second: 3:00 mins and 24fps (standard) 2:30mins and 54fps (slow motion) at about 90 seconds..

Check out this film calculator:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/filmCalculator.html

My question is what are some good places that sell 8mm film stock and telecine services? They don't have to be close to Nashville, but it would be nice to find a place in Atlanta or St. Louis, but I would rather find quality and spend a little more on shipping.

Hi!

buying directly from kodak is the best idea. you can try bhphotovideo.com too.

sometimes in ebay you can find good auctions.

for processing and telecine spectra and yale are both really good.

but if your planning to shoot b&w, in my personal opinion, black and white film factory from canada is the best in processing.

bye!!