Betacam 110B vs. Betacam 507

John Carreon

Sorry people,

I have a horrible time whenever I try to use the "Search" option to find info.

I will be working on a short film this weekend and have the opportunity to use either a Betacam 507 or a Betacam 100B. I understand that the 100B is newer but does anyone have a preference between these two? I haven't had a chance to look at them yet and was hoping for some help.

I will be shooting inside under controlled lighting.

Is the depth of field significantly different between these cameras and any of the new prosumer DV or HDV cameras? Or is it still just focus as far as the eye can see...

Would anybody recommend using like a softening filter to cut away some of the sharpness of the camera?

Also I was trying to find some instruction manuals for these cameras but also came up a little empty handed. Does anybody know of a website that might have these listed.

Thanks a bunch,

John Carreon

Edited by John Carreon

• Premium Member
Sorry people,

I have a horrible time whenever I try to use the "Search" option to find info.

I will be working on a short film this weekend and have the opportunity to use either a Betacam 507 or a Betacam 100B. I understand that the 100B is newer but does anyone have a preference between these two? I haven't had a chance to look at them yet and was hoping for some help.

I will be shooting inside under controlled lighting.

Is the depth of field significantly different between these cameras and any of the new prosumer DV or HDV cameras? Or is it still just focus as far as the eye can see...

Would anybody recommend using like a softening filter to cut away some of the sharpness of the camera?

Also I was trying to find some instruction manuals for these cameras but also came up a little empty handed. Does anybody know of a website that might have these listed.

Thanks a bunch,

John Carreon

I came up with a couple of possibilities, there was a 110, 3/4 inch portable deck, and some kind of time-code unit as well, you'd want to avoid that combination.

However, there is also the UVW-100 betacam one piece. It was considered an industrial grade camera.

I used it once on a three camera shoot. I think I didn't like the focusing on it that much, it seemed like the focus ring had a huge range on it and one really had to turn the lens barrel a lot to get it right, especially in low light. However as I recall on that day I had three cameras and two operators, (the UVW was getting a locked off master shot) so I didn't get to work with it that much that day.

The 507 was really popular until the 537's came out. (I hope I have my numbers straight). It's a tough call to tell you which one to use because the UVW is probably 5-10 years newer and that may be something to consider.

Here is a link to a UVW for sale on ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-UVW-100-Betacam-S...1QQcmdZViewItem

You might want to look on ebay for a 507 as well, sometimes the sales descriptions are very informative.

• Premium Member

I've never used or seen the BVW-507. I have (unfortunately) used the UVW-100. It's not very fast. You will need a good deal of light. It has a 1/2" chip so it will be able to have shallower depth of field then any 1/3" chip camera. But not by much. As for diffusion filter: sure why not. Maybe something like an 1/8 or 1/4 Black Promist. You might also think about de-interlacing in post. In that case you do not want to soften the pix at all because the de-interlacing will have enough softening in and of itself. And you probably will not find a manual for this camera. But don't sweat it; there's nothing to it that the owner of it can't tell you in about 10 minutes. And if you've ever used any Beta camera it will be just like it except with a lot fewer options.

I'd say go with the 100 purely on the fact that it is infact newer and probably in better condition and slightly better engineered.

• Premium Member
Thanks for the responses guys, I appreciate it...

John Carreon

You're very welcome, by the way, I am a bit nervous about telling you about a UVW-100 since you asked about a 110B. Perhaps you would want to reconfirm the model number of the alternative to the 507 that has been offered to you, I just didn't find much out there on a 110B that seemed relevant.

I have nothing to say other than I used the BVP-7 / 507 in the past & it was fine.

I think you need the external color playback adaptor for that one - if you want to play back in color from it -IIRC.

Geez long time ago.

DOF characteristic wd be the same as any 2/3" camera.

-Sam Wells

• Premium Member
I have nothing to say other than I used the BVP-7 / 507 in the past & it was fine.

I think you need the external color playback adaptor for that one - if you want to play back in color from it -IIRC.

Geez long time ago.

DOF characteristic wd be the same as any 2/3" camera.

-Sam Wells

There was a "breakthrough" in ASA sensitivity around 1994 for E.N.G. camcorders. I recall the 507 was very popular back then, perhaps the only drawback was it was less light sensitive because it was made prior to 1994? Does that sound correct at all?

I'm trying to recall the shoots I used it on; one was for Ford - they were making engine computers. I don't remember using anything but maybe walking a Lowel soft or something. Pretty well lit facility. I think the other was J&J and maybe the same story.

I'd guess ~ equivalent to EI 160 maybe ? Do NOT hold me to this B)

-Sam Wells

I'm trying to recall the shoots I used it on; one was for Ford - they were making engine computers. I don't remember using anything but maybe walking a Lowel soft or something. Pretty well lit facility. I think the other was J&J and maybe the same story.

I'd guess ~ equivalent to EI 160 maybe ? Do NOT hold me to this B)

-Sam Wells

The UVW 100 is basicly a one piece betacam sp camera, the guts block and chips are the same as a Sony D30 DXC camera, so it's a later model than the 507 two piece camera which is like a Sony BVW400 betacam sp camera head with a dockable 5 back, this camera is a tank! FIT chips, UVW 100 has IT chips, and is a lot lighter on the shoulder! also the 507 with the 5 back has two extra audio channels when you use sp tape, the UVW only two. Both these cameras make good pictures if set up right! the older 507 may have some bad caps or transport problems (age) I would go with the UVW100, but be sure to check out all operations on the camera are working, and you are getting a good recorded picture and sound.

The UVW 100 may have the option to shoot 16x9 and 4x3 you will have to check out the specs!

The UVW 100 is basicly a one piece betacam sp camera, the guts block and chips are the same as a Sony D30 DXC camera, so it's a later model than the 507 two piece camera which is like a Sony BVW400 betacam sp camera head with a dockable 5 back, this camera is a tank! FIT chips, UVW 100 has IT chips, and is a lot lighter on the shoulder! also the 507 with the 5 back has two extra audio channels when you use sp tape, the UVW only two. Both these cameras make good pictures if set up right! the older 507 may have some bad caps or transport problems (age) I would go with the UVW100, but be sure to check out all operations on the camera are working, and you are getting a good recorded picture and sound.

The UVW 100 may have the option to shoot 16x9 and 4x3 you will have to check out the specs!

The UVW is a 1/2 inch image sensor, and the 507 is 2/3 inch image sensor.

So you will find some nicer lenes for the 2/3, 507.

• Premium Member
The UVW 100 is basicly a one piece betacam sp camera, the guts block and chips are the same as a Sony D30 DXC camera, so it's a later model than the 507

Hi,

From memory the UVW was a very poor camera relative to a a D30 or BVP7 /507.

Very sure a UVW 100 or BVP7 is only 4x3.

Stephen

Hi,

From memory the UVW was a very poor camera relative to a a D30 or BVP7 /507.

Very sure a UVW 100 or BVP7 is only 4x3.

Stephen

I recall that the DVW 700 was the first camera that had an optional 16:9 setting, all Betacam SP cameras were 4x3.

We used a UVW 100 as a second unit camera on a documentary, the pictures weren't as good as the BVW 400 being used as the main camera.

• Premium Member
I recall that the DVW 700 was the first camera that had an optional 16:9 setting, all Betacam SP cameras were 4x3.

We used a UVW 100 as a second unit camera on a documentary, the pictures weren't as good as the BVW 400 being used as the main camera.

Hi Brian,

You are correct except for the DVW 600 a digibeta version of the 700.

Stephen

Hi Brian,

You are correct except for the DVW 600 a digibeta version of the 700.

Stephen

A Betacam SP version - the digital camera head of the DVW 700 recording onto SP. I've only used one a few times always shooting on 4x3 - I didn't realise you had an option of 16:9.

Remember being able to buy 4 x 3 only DVW 700s at that time.

• Premium Member
A Betacam SP version - the digital camera head of the DVW 700 recording onto SP. I've only used one a few times always shooting on 4x3 - I didn't realise you had an option of 16:9.

Hi Brian,

'WS' suffex was an option depending on the ccd block, I think there was a choice of at least 3!

Stephen

Edit its full name BVW-D600WS

The way to tell if your Sony camera has 16x9 chips is in the model number it will end WS, (wide screen)

Sony DXC D30WS

Sony DXC D35WS

Sony DXC D50WS

Sony BVW D600WS

Sony DVW 700WS

Hi Brian,

'WS' suffex was an option depending on the ccd block, I think there was a choice of at least 3!

Stephen

Edit its full name BVW-D600WS

Yes, I was wondering about all the DVW references when I was googling, since all the Betacam SP series camcorders were BVW. The BVW 400 was my favourite in that series.

I haven't shot 4x3 for about 5 years - it really throws you getting into gear with it again after a gap.

• Premium Member
Yes, I was wondering about all the DVW references when I was googling, since all the Betacam SP series camcorders were BVW. The BVW 400 was my favourite in that series.

I haven't shot 4x3 for about 5 years - it really throws you getting into gear with it again after a gap.

Hi Brian,

I know a cameraman who still uses a BVW 400, (we're still mainly 4x3 in Switzerland), it still produces very acceptable pictures today.

Stephen

Hi Brian,

I know a cameraman who still uses a BVW 400, (we're still mainly 4x3 in Switzerland), it still produces very acceptable pictures today.

Stephen

They're surprisingly well built. The local BBC were using 10 year old BVW 200s for news until they were replaced Betacam SX kit. Needless to say, they didn't have an easy life.