Dark Reprieve

I'll pass your comments onto the "title guy", thanks.

Show it to the ASC? Hmmmm, I don't know if David M would think that's such a good idea. Unless they want to use it for editing practice.

And yes we have the CSC here in Canada, although I'm also a British citizen, so BSC is fine as well.

Cameras where the following, BL2, BL3, BL4.

Well Matthew believe it or not your comments mean the most to me, you're the target audience!! :)

R,

Wow, the ASC are that snobbish, if that really is so them I have a load of film that thay may want to use as an emetic.

How on earth did you get British Citizenship???

Wow, I love those cameras!!!

Err...do you mean JUST me, or people of my age?

So when you preface "shocking" with "no offence" I assume you mean you don't like them?

Well of course it's very subjective. Most film execs in LA that have seen the first cut where very complimentary on their performances. One of them now has an interview with on of the "BIG" agencies in LA on Jan 26th as a result of some one there seeing the trailer. So they are flying down for that.

Every one has a favorite actor, and they are all different choices :)

R,

Well, it's hard to tell, obviously because it was a trailer, I'd need to watch the entire episode to get a good picture of them.

But if you want my 100% true honest feelings about them so far, the girl didn't seem right for the part, the anger coming from the man didn't seem all that convincing and he didn't seem like a very good 'physical' actor when he lost his temper and tried smashing the shelf.

BUT, just remember that I'm comparing this to programmes like Buffy e.t.c.

You want a face that you don't mind spending two hours staring at (I feel that way about Naomi Watts...)

The girls just aren't safe around you are they David... give the single guys like me a chance.

Edited by Daniel Ashley-Smith

Thar be beasts in thar!!!

Looks like a frightening night at the movies. I think with horror trailers the sound mix has to be completely a produced piece of 'music' unto itself to really let the fear fly.. The only shot that seemed out of place was the girl spinning around (wearing bikini) , everything else seemed to add up to a story about two strangers trapped in a strange prison/dungeon with beasts, wolves and mutant doctors going to work on them! (Sounds like a fun place to live/work) I couldn't figure out how the bikini girl would piece into the story or atmosphere.

Hey, if you're in Toronto they maybe we should trade screeners for some pre-emptory comments. Here's a link to two trailers for my soon-to be finished feature:

Trailer 1A:

http://www.stickypod.com/videos/uploads/43...ler_1a_480p.mov

http://www.stickypod.com/videos/uploads/43..._Trailer_1a.mp4

Trailer 1B:

http://www.stickypod.com/videos/uploads/43..._h264_large.mov

http://www.stickypod.com/videos/uploads/43...er_1b_small.mp4

Sorry, not trying to derail the thread.

Can't wait to see the film, Richard. Location looks very cool too.

Thar be beasts in thar!!!

Looks like a frightening night at the movies. I think with horror trailers the sound mix has to be completely a produced piece of 'music' unto itself to really let the fear fly.. The only shot that seemed out of place was the girl spinning around (wearing bikini) , everything else seemed to add up to a story about two strangers trapped in a strange prison/dungeon with beasts, wolves and mutant doctors going to work on them! (Sounds like a fun place to live/work) I couldn't figure out how the bikini girl would piece into the story or atmosphere.

Well you decifiered the movie very well from that trailer, 90% nailed it. The missing 10% is the whole "solve the mystery" angle, but it's quite invloved and can only be explained via watching the entire movie.

The girl spinning is there for eye candy in the trailer. If you look close you'll see he's watching her through the glass of the prisoner visiting area, which is key for the movie. She starts off in a wedding dress.

Yes Matthew Buick I meant that teenage boys are a target for the this movie. Most of the comments I get from them after they watch the trailer is, "cool", "awesome", "wicked". And if their parents are in the room the next comment is, "too bad you'll never see that movie." :)

Matthew Bennett, I've seen your trailer before...maybe on this forum? Looks like a well crafted movie, nice work.

R,

• 2 months later...

Well thanks for asking. No, far from picture lock :(

I have more scenes to shoot on April 26th, one long day. I'm adding in a new character and story line. Plus I have a bunch of pick ups and inserts to do. Plus I'm re-shooting my closing shot at a new location this week I hope.

Basically the off-line is done, every thing was mastered to HDSR. I'm off-lining in FCP from DVCAM.

After circulating my off-line to various buyers and industry pros in LA it was clear some changes where needed and few things could be improved. All of which I agreed with.

So almost every day I "massage" my time line a little more. The good news is that ILM delivered 21 finished VFX shots. My animated credit sequence is being rendered this week and will soon be delivered. Very elaborate and being done in Toronto. Then June 30th I expect the most complex VFX shots to arrive from a team of Canadian animators working in the UK. They are doing some very complex shots that haven't really been done before that I can find. So it's all moving along.

Basically because of the nature of this film it could be cut 100 different ways, and that's not an exageration.

I don't expect to have a finished mixed master until September. I would post my opening for you all to view, but that might spoil the surprise.

Essentially making a feature film is a really big job, you guys should have told me that! But I'm going all out and if I go down it will only be after I put up one huge heck of a fight.

Stay tuned.

R,

PS: I'm glad we didn't burn any bridges on the "other" thread. Bah, all forgotten.

Yes that file was only good for two weeks. As planned.

There will be an all new trailer on the official web site when all the shots are done, I'm hoping by 2025.

Matthew, you can not know the budget of the movie. That is a closely guarded secret, sorry.

Thanks

R,

• Premium Member

I get asked all the time about the budget of what I'm shooting. The problem is that if a film has not been sold to a distributor in what's called a "negative pick-up deal", then it's usually a secret... because if a distributor thinks it cost more than it actually did, he might be willing to pay more, but if he finds out you managed to make a great film for peanuts, he might only offer you 10% over the cost of your peanuts. So it's to your advantage to make him think you spent five times that, etc. mainly through the quality of the production value, etc.

Yes, and my time has value, how do I budget for that?

Most people will think I made a 5 million dollar movie, and say, "sorry I can only offer you half your budget." I'll freak out, then say, ok. :D

R,

Whatever, Richard...anyways, good luck. :)

Would you tell every one your costs on a product you where selling?

How would that be to your advantage?

R,