Damnation by Bela Tarr

Angeliki Makraki

WOW, I was blown away by Bela Tarr's Damnation.

I saw it for the first time last night at the last night of the Bela Tarr film festival at Harvard.

I've never see such beautiful cinematography. SatanTango is usually rated a better movie,

but I liked Damnation better.

Does anyone know the specs on this movie ? Film, lens, cameras, ect.

Yes, what do they use in the eastern block ? Russian lenses, cameras ?

It wasn't as contrasty as Werkmeister Harmonies.

I'm so inspired to reprint my black and white 4x5 negatives from when I was a student at RISD.

Depressive beauty never looked so good.

David Fincher rain looks way too slick in comparison !

That's the difference between capitalism and communism !

Damnation is a cult movie for cinematographers, those crane movements are litterally insane... One of my favorite movies of all times. Unfortunately, I do not have the specs on this movie...

Cheers!

C

Thanks, for the post, Christophe. It looks like no one knows !

I've phrased the question 3 different ways.

You have a charming little web site.

Thanks Angeliki! I have been carrying this website for a while now, I need a change but it's good to hear that some people like it! I came upon Bela Tarr a little while back, actually when Gerry from Gus Van Sant came out, I liked the rythm of the movie so much that when I read that he stole a few shots from the Werkmeister's Harmonies, I got a copie of the movie, I have seen every Bela Tarr movie I could find, Satan Tango, W. H, Le nid Familial, Fall Almanach and Damnation and I have to agree that Damnation feels like the best one from the ones I have seen!

C

• Premium Member

...I saw the silver prints for the trilogy at North West Film Forum last month. The Tarr films are now available on DVD through Facets. You can also see one of the most sublime scenes from Damnation on YouTube:

here is the link to that

Steve

...I saw the silver prints for the trilogy at North West Film Forum last month. The Tarr films are now available on DVD through Facets. You can also see one of the most sublime scenes from Damnation on YouTube:

here is the link to that

Steve

Thanks for the youtube link. I ordered Damantion on Amazon but it will be a few weeks till it arrives.

Now I know where to go for clips ! I loved watching it on the big screen, here at the Archive.

Not that I got the story. But the cinematography was wonderful....