Psychadelic Super 8 stocks.

Matthew Buick

I'm going to see if I can borrow some students from the music and drama classes in my school to shoot and direct a musical short, I'm not sure on the storyline yet.

Can anyone recommend a psychadelic Super 8 stock, I've decided that's the look I want, bright exaggerated colours, low grain, stuff like that.

Reversal or Negative, I don't care.

Perhaps Ektachrome 100D, it's colours are not too exaggerated but a little saturated though. I've only used it for 16mm, but I've heard that it has quite fine grain in S8 too. I know that you can get it from www.wittner-kinotechnik.de, did Pro8mm have it too? Not sure.

You could also try to find Velvia 50D, it has similar qualities (many know it as a slide film), but I wouldn't be able to tell you where you can find some...

• Premium Member
Perhaps Ektachrome 100D, it's colours are not too exaggerated but a little saturated though. I've only used it for 16mm, but I've heard that it has quite fine grain in S8 too. I know that you can get it from www.wittner-kinotechnik.de, did Pro8mm have it too? Not sure.

You could also try to find Velvia 50D, it has similar qualities (many know it as a slide film), but I wouldn't be able to tell you where you can find some...

So, are you my doppleganger? Our names are very similar.

Spectra Film and Video loads both the Kodak Ektachrome 100D and the Fuji Velvia.

• Premium Member
Velvia is all-around well-saturated. Don't fall into the old wives' tale that Fuji is for greens and Kodak is for reds & yellows... that comes from the color of the boxes that the film comes in.

Although it is true. :D

Well, Velvia definitely shows off all the color.

It depends on whether you want 'predictable' psychadelic or 'unpredictable/random' psychadelic.

There are a couple of outdated 'psychadelic' stocks on ebay listed as 'Exotic Super 8 film cartridge' which might be of interest.

I used an old film by Dixons some time ago and it came out with florescant green flashes on a golden coloured picture with occasional red periods. Very strange but worth the £15 processing fee at Super8lab. Unlike anything I have ever seen before.

EDIT: That's ebay.co.uk by the way.

PS Is it spelled 'psychadelic' or 'psychedelic'?

Edited by Gerard Furber

I think with the way the storyline is shaping up I would prefer predictable psychadelic, but I have had an idea for a seperate film called 'Sacred Mushroom' which I may do instead, which as you can understand requires a random unpredictable and VERY colourful look.

I think with the way the storyline is shaping up I would prefer predictable psychadelic, but I have had an idea for a seperate film called 'Sacred Mushroom' which I may do instead, which as you can understand requires a random unpredictable and VERY colourful look.

If your final output is video, I'd get some 100D or Velvia and have it cross processed.

If you want unpredictable I'd go with the outdated stocks. I can't speak for the ones on ebay but the green flashes and flaring on the Dixons film I used were brighter than anything you could get with lighting and a regular film-stock.

You can also use acetate pens (like teachers used to use on Overhead-Projector slides) to add your own colour to the film. Random colour stripes can look fantastic- especially if you shoot using black and white film.

There are a couple of outdated 'psychadelic' stocks on ebay listed as 'Exotic Super 8 film cartridge' which might be of interest.

I have just purchased one incredibly rare roll of Revue Superchrome RC 8.

What can anyone tell me about this stock?

Not sure about that one but the other one (Perutzchrome) I might be able to shed some light on.

I am told it gives strong purples and reds which dance around the screen while the image remains sharp with some grain.

I have dabbled in outdated films too (mainly old Agfas- got some wonderful results over the summer) but haven't got the spare cash or time at the moment, otherwise I'd be tempted myself!

Edited by Gerard Furber

I may buy the Perutzchrome as well.

What I thought I might do would be to film the same shots (once with each film) and then have it printed together on an optical printer, so that the mushroom taker (still looking for an actor) has the most schocking double vision ever. :D

Nice! That sounds fantastic! I would love to see some of that when it's made. Youtube? The description I have been given of the Perutz film sounds like it would be ideal for your project. Other ones to look out for are old Orwo films if you want HUGE grain and randomly coloured spots.