Is it that Bad?

i like same of the shootes didn't see any thing that interested i look for a style i like to see same more like the Rufe scene i like the camera movement there

its clear that you know how to light now i think is time to find your voice

your style

keep shooting

Wow, 60 views and one response? Is it that bad? Or is it just boring? Please critique my work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb1i1tPDl-k

It's very nice work, and as one of the cinematographers suggests, there seems to be a general quality to the scenes you show. I'd suggest mixing it up a bit, adding the more cotrasty samples towards the end, since the last 4/5 of your demo looks kind of the same in terms of contrast. It's really nice looking work, I'd suggest some more "daring" shots if you have any, towards the last half. Thanks for sharing your work.

hp

I like your work. Your lighting looks good (At least what I could sort of pick out looking at the youtube compression). I like the more contrasty shots at the beginning and the ending. Some of it seems overexposed (again, could be the compression), but other than that its good work. I think that in terms of a reel, however, you need to show much more variation as to what you can do, or just shorten it. You show too much of each film. Shorten it up and try to get as much diversity between shots as you can. Like Howard says, show your more "daring" setups. If a reel is repetitive it gets boring. But again, I think your work looks good, the reel may need some work though (and stay away from youtube for posting on this forum!).

Hope that was helpful in some way,

Edited by Bryant Jansen

"Find my voice"?? How 'bout a job, first? ;)

Seriously, thanks for the responses. I'll keep 'em in mind.

Best,

Jon.

Hi jon

Watched the film some nice imagery everything seemed well put together the editing was good lighting etc

Only for me it didnt seem to follow any storyline just atmosphere and feelings perhaps this was the intention. In fact I'm not really sure what this film is for? Is it to showcase your ability? Or is it a short film?If its a short film then for me it had characters without a story just some vague artistic go at hey your the viewer work it out.. But I'm possibly like most and lazy Why should I work it out Ive been force fed Hollywood so if you don't explain it then my attention span is gonne rapidly disapear and the only hope is I like the pretty pictures which very clearly wear off in the absence of a logical edit..

Just my opinion

Hi jon

Watched the film some nice imagery everything seemed well put together the editing was good lighting etc

Only for me it didnt seem to follow any storyline just atmosphere and feelings perhaps this was the intention. In fact I'm not really sure what this film is for? Is it to showcase your ability? Or is it a short film?If its a short film then for me it had characters without a story just some vague artistic go at hey your the viewer work it out.. But I'm possibly like most and lazy Why should I work it out Ive been force fed Hollywood so if you don't explain it then my attention span is gonne rapidly disapear and the only hope is I like the pretty pictures which very clearly wear off in the absence of a logical edit..

Just my opinion

OH OK just spotted on the site its a DP reel In that case it wasnt bad but then for a show reel it didnt seem that great in places either.. Some shots seemed like fillers.. The colours were not always well concieved and some were quite good for me it was a mixed bag.. And I really disliked the music.