slow fps 16mm projector?

adam berk

There was the Lafayette I remember.

I used (in fact I have it now, but it no longer works) an Eiki aftermarket mod similar to this one.

http://www.visinst.com/Projector.html

I had a great old Kodak 16mm Kodascope projector with a simple rheostat that was adjustable 12-24 fps.

I'll try and think of sources.

-Sam

Does anyone know of a 16mm projector than can be slowed down to 8fps or lower?

thanks,

adam

The many 16 mm cine projectors have fixed speed ( 24 fs ) and have AC motor 50 Hz or 60 hz an fixed transmission.

To change of gears not good ideas.

But, You can use of modules of speed control of AC motors with frequency control.

This is devices to use for production machines.

This is device control of speed of DC motor by change of frequency of output signal.

If the projector have DC motor, I can set of system of crystal synch speed control.

• Premium Member
The many 16 mm cine projectors have fixed speed ( 24 fs ) and have AC motor 50 Hz or 60 hz an fixed transmission.

To change of gears not good ideas.

But, You can use of modules of speed control of AC motors with frequency control.

This is devices to use for production machines.

This is device control of speed of DC motor by change of frequency of output signal.

If the projector have DC motor, I can set of system of crystal synch speed control.

Trick with that is that the machine has to then have the motor wiring separated from the lamp wiring and you run the risk of overheating as the motor also cools the lamp.

I have only seen pictures of the Lafayette ,but it seems to use the same chassis as the Kodak Analyst, which in turn is a variant of the Kodak Pagent. They were often used in sports to show game films so they do turn up from time to time.

Guest Glenn Brady

The Bolex 421 optical/magnetic 16mm projector operates at variable rates from 15 to 30 frames-per-second and also permits frame-by-frame projection. The succeeding 521 model offered remote control in addition.

We pulled some old projectors apart and connected them to bicycles - you peddled to make them run...

Even at 1fps or so we would only get burns with B+W film - color went through fine ... you could change the shutter angle if you were really concerned ...

You just need to open it up and put a new motor in - easy!

• Premium Member
We pulled some old projectors apart and connected them to bicycles - you peddled to make them run...

Even at 1fps or so we would only get burns with B+W film - color went through fine ... you could change the shutter angle if you were really concerned ...

I was thinking about the longevity of the machine itself, I have seen Bulbs Blister so bad in an old B&H 385 that they took out the first condenser lens. (teacher insisted on shuting down without allowing time for the bulb to cool) I am sure that the folks in Rochester did something very cleaver to get the analyst to work well.

The other though would be to slip the clutch on a victor with the still frame dowser in place. although the analyst would be the first choice as it is desined to do that all day without a sweat.