Just Another Day At The Office

I know many of you where concerned that I had not been around to post for a while. Have no fear, I am fine :)

I was in the Bahamas shooting sharks, no cages this time!!

What an awesome experience. The footage I got is just amazing!

R,

post-4653-1170991787.jpg

post-4653-1170991803.jpg

Yeah I wish! Video shoot sorry to say, but it does look nice underwater.

All land based shots where done on the BL2.

One day I'll build a housing for the BL2, one was never made that I know of.

R,

• 1 month later...
  • Site Sponsor
Did you have your BL2 in that thing?

Cheers,

Steve

Used a shrink ray on the BL? cool :blink:

Do the sharks generally just ignore you? or are they interested? I wanted to say curious but I know they are kinda ancient creatures and may not stray to curiosity.

Looks like fun.

-Rob-

So long as there is food they stick around, once the food is gone they are gone.

Some times they'll come in close and have a look at you when there is no food.

If a 12 foot tiger shark shows up, then you're screwed food or no food. He'll eat you, the tank, the fins, and have the camera for desert.

R.

• Site Sponsor
So long as there is food they stick around, once the food is gone they are gone.

If a 12 foot tiger shark shows up, then you're screwed food or no food. He'll eat you, the tank, the fins, and have the camera for desert.

R.

So you bring them snacks to motivate the "talent" :) and if a tiger shark or some other big MotherF show up it's get out of the water or get eaten fer' sure? or will he just eat one of the smaller sharks because people (except surfers) are not a delicacy?

I remember reading/seeing stuff a while back about Sharks super-sensitivity to certain electrical fields and have often wondered if any clever chap had built a sort of electric shark repeller for divers, something that if turned on would drive them away. I thought certain beaches (Australia? etc.) had electric shark "fences" that kept our fine betoothed friends from chewing on fat tourist types.

-Rob-

R.

Quint:[seeing Boddington's equipment] What are you? Some kind of half-assed astronaut?

[examining the shark cage]

Quint: Jesus H Christ, when I was a boy, every little squirt wanted to be a harpooner or a sword fisherman. What d'ya have there - a portable shower or a monkey cage?

Boddington: Anti-Shark cage.

Quint: [re-write] Anti-shark cage. You don't go in inside the cage?

[boddington nods]

Quent: [re-write] It ain't goin' it in the water?

[boddington shakes his head no]

Quent: [re-write] Cage DON'T go in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water. our shark...12 foot tiger shark...[smiles then sings] Farewell and adieu to you, fair Spanish ladies. Farewell and adieu, you ladies of Spain. For we've received orders for to sail back to Boston. And so nevermore shall we see you again. .....HHHHHere's your sign. B)

Edited by James Steven Beverly

Re: Electrical fields and sharks.

Yes sharks can detect the tiny electrical field that all living things give off via their ampule of lorenzini:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ampullae_of_Lorenzini

When I was shooting white sharks, with a cage a few years back, I deployed the camera over the side on a rope and let it float around underwater. The great whites lost all interest in the bait and began to nudge the camera with their noses. I theorize that they where interested in the electrcial field being given off by the running camera.

And yes James, good re-write of the third greatest movie of all time.

R,

Guest Evan Pierre
and have often wondered if any clever chap had built a sort of electric shark repeller for divers, something that if turned on would drive them away.

From what I've heard punching them in the gills is quite effective to turn them away.

...or we could zap em :P

"and have often wondered if any clever chap had built a sort of electric shark repeller for divers"

Yes there is such a device, surfers use it as well. I have seen a number of very convincing tests. ie bait tied to the ocean floor in great white infested waters with the device to "guard" it. The video showed the sharks trying to get the bait but swimming off when they got close to the field of the device.

Now, do you want to trust such a device against a charging two ton great white? I dunno, in that case I'd feel better in a cage. Other wise all you could do is close your eyes and hope he turns away.

As for: "What are the first two?"

James, why are you asking such an obvious question every one knows the answer to :)

R,

• Site Sponsor
"and have often wondered if any clever chap had built a sort of electric shark repeller for divers"

Yes there is such a device, surfers use it as well. I have seen a number of very convincing tests. ie bait tied to the ocean floor in great white infested waters with the device to "guard" it. The video showed the sharks trying to get the bait but swimming off when they got close to the field of the device.

Now, do you want to trust such a device against a charging two ton great white? I dunno, in that case I'd feel better in a cage. Other wise all you could do is close your eyes and hope he turns away.

Trust? I dunno... but I would suppose every inch counts in that situation.....

-Rob-

Ok Star Wars, number 2, and I mean the 1977 un-crapified version.

Number 1 is a US film, but shot by a famous DOP with a French last name.

R,

• Site Sponsor
Or maybe Star Wars and Titanic...just to piss Max and Robert off. :rolleyes:

I liked the original star wars I was a young kid when it came out but the reverb of it was quite strong in my childhood and have seen it many, many times. The film has it's hokeyness and some poor poor dialog but it was built with skill and there was good attention paid to the look and quality of the vfx. I do not think it was up to Doug Trumbull's work in some area's but the picture did bring you into another world and had style. The new stuff is just really sloppy looking, kind of a phoned in job.

I just got "Star Trek the MP" on my netflix and found it to be really great with a look that could be released today and really seamless vfx (Trumbull) that have survived the near 30 years since release and are watchable over and over.

I just watched "The Departed" down in Brooklyn with one of my film co-conspirators and we looked at one of the head popping scenes a few times and it seemed pretty clear that it was enhanced digitally but had a practical fx base. I am not necessarily saying no digital but it has to stand up and much of it has not to date.

Maybe if you do not care how your picture will age it's not a problem but that's not really the attitude a real artist would take. The lack of caring makes that creator an accountant.

-Rob-

Ok Star Wars, number 2, and I mean the 1977 un-crapified version.

Number 1 is a US film, but shot by a famous DOP with a French last name.

R,

OK........IIIII"m gonna need more than that to go on. My brain quit functioning about 3 years ago and I haven't had time to take it into the shop, so give me a few more hints and I maybe able to figure it out.

Edited by James Steven Beverly