cross processing kodachrome

grant mcphee

hi,

i do a bit of home processing. i've just tried to develop some kodachrome 16mm as a neg in d76 but it didnt turn out at all.

i had, what i thought was some k14 but it turns out it was k11 so was returned from the kodak lab as 'too old to process' so i thought i would develop it myself.

as it was originally intended to be shot as reversal i kept the exposure as exact as i could (i.e. i didnt over expose when shooting as i would normally if i were developing reversal as a neg).

I use d76 at 20C. i normally process negative in this for 7-8 minutes and it comes out fine. as i hadnt over exposed i thought i would push the stock so kept it in for 91/2 minutes.

when i took it out there was nothing there! just a heavy fogged green filter.

any ideas what went wrong? i know there are quite a few variables like the film being so old and not knowing where it originated. when kodak checked it could they have fogged it? or tried to develop it and it didnt work? the remjet is still there so i dont think so.

anyone tried kodachrome? if so any suggestions are appreciated.

thanks,

grant

Processing Kodachrome is unique, you cannot cross-process it. Check this out:

processing kodachrome is unique, you can't process it yourself but you can cross-process it yourself. it's forms an image in the same way as any other film when light hits it. so using any universal developer, like d76 should produce a negative monochrome image. its the colour aspect of kodachrome which is unique. in theory.

has anyone developed their own kodachrome?

thanks

Interesting...anyone tried this?

yes, me!

i was asking why i didnt get an image using a b+w developer (d76). I'm usually pretty successful when home processing (apart from a few mistakes on my own part) but couldnt seem to get the hang of k14 (though i think it was k11 i tried). I think that it must have been fogged due to age.

anyone else tried? i think you get a green mask with d76.

cheers

yes, me!

i was asking why i didnt get an image using a b+w developer (d76). I'm usually pretty successful when home processing (apart from a few mistakes on my own part) but couldnt seem to get the hang of k14 (though i think it was k11 i tried). I think that it must have been fogged due to age.

anyone else tried? i think you get a green mask with d76.

cheers

hi, i tried k14 using d19 (as a negative it works after playing with the anti-halation layer). It's very dense though but cool.

I did some tests a few years ago with some kodachrome II process k-12, expiration date of march 1964. Developed it in Dektol. Initial tests were very fogged. Reduced development time to lower then the fog level. Ended up only being able to shoot the sun with star cross filter, as it was the only thing capable of exposure above base fog, then slight bleaching, just for effects. The kodachrome was d-8, but not split then printed on 7302.

sunkodframe.jpg

I did some tests a few years ago with some kodachrome II process k-12, expiration date of march 1964. Developed it in Dektol. Initial tests were very fogged. Reduced development time to lower then the fog level. Ended up only being able to shoot the sun with star cross filter, as it was the only thing capable of exposure above base fog, then slight bleaching, just for effects. The kodachrome was d-8, but not split then printed on 7302.

sunkodframe.jpg

thanks david. thats interesting to know. i'll try a few tests with reduced time and see what happens. i think though, i'll just use the remaining rolls (all from same batch unfortunately) as leader. or for scratching onto