good deals on lighting kit

Natalie Saito

what are some good deals on light kits? which is a good starter kit, something for portable field work, (3 or 4 650-watt tungsten) for photographers/cinematographers students? At camera stores..it's so expensive..if you include the stands/barnies/scrims. I've been wanting to have my own little kit. thanks! -Natalie

I wasted my money once on a photoflood lighting kit so I'll suggest that you don't do what I did. I'm not saying that Smith-Victor makes a bad product, it's just that their lights are so uncontrollable.

I now use a lowel dv creator 44 kit and I love it to death. It was inexpensive compared to most other kits and it is such a versatile set of lights. It's tailored to interview/3-point lighting but it's still versatile. So I also recommend lowel.

The Lowel Kits are great. We use them all the time so I'll third that suggestion.

A lot of the kits are packed to the brim with extra stuff like Flexi-shaft Flags, reflectors, and umbrellas, etc for an affordable price. They have different kit combinations for everything you'd need.

Edited by Evan Phan

Arri makes some good, portable light kits also. Like Lowel, there are many different styles, sizes, and price ranges. Check around online; I've seen kits vary widely in price range so it's worth your time to spend some time looking. Ebay can be a good source, and B+H Photo is fairly priced in my experience.

Hi Natalie,

Probably Lowel kits are the more close to what you need there are not too expensive... Arri kits are more expensives but there are more "pro & accurate" i suggets search in boths web sites for more details and compare, hope helps

Xavier Plaza

Director of Photography