NAB

Phil Rhodes

Wait a minute!

Didn't we buy Canada?

More likely the other way around. The USA is running the biggest budget deficits on the planet, you guys can't pay your bills. Canada on the other hand has had 10 plus years of budget surpluses.

After we we buy you we'll force access to healthcare on all of your citizens, screw up your constitution, raise your taxes by 314%, and dismattle your military. With the money we save from not having a military we'll fund the "arts" and "social" programs. ie lazy butts will get free money.

R,

More likely the other way around. The USA is running the biggest budget deficits on the planet, you guys can't pay your bills. Canada on the other hand has had 10 plus years of budget surpluses.

After we we buy you we'll force access to healthcare on all of your citizens, screw up your constitution, raise your taxes by 314%, and dismattle your military. With the money we save from not having a military we'll fund the "arts" and "social" programs. ie lazy butts will get free money.

R,

Thats it, I'm moving to the Great White. Sudbury I think. That way if they come looking for me I can hide behind the big smokestack!

R,

Well, you can't be so well off if you're asking to share a Hotel room with a world leading Japanese cinematographer and a manically depressed British "camera/edit".

Britain will always roll in it, they merely have to up taxes. :(

Edited by Matthew Buick

Well, you can't be so well off if you're asking to share a Hotel room with a world leading Japanese cinematographer and a manically depressed British "camera/edit".

Britain will always roll in it, they merely have to up taxes. :(

Maybe I'm a rich cheap SOB.

R,

Slightly off topic- I have met many people recently who refuse to do business with the US until things change. I met an animation company that pulled a 12M USD US deal and went into Canada (even though it was more expensive)

I also know 2 companies that pulled out of Kidscreen festival

And I have met many individuals who refuse to travel there as individuals.

Are the americans on this forum feeling any of this or is it just background noise?

For all the lefties here you can sign up to http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/ :ph34r:

thanks

Rolfe

• 4 weeks later...
Slightly off topic- I have met many people recently who refuse to do business with the US until things change. I met an animation company that pulled a 12M USD US deal and went into Canada (even though it was more expensive)

I also know 2 companies that pulled out of Kidscreen festival

And I have met many individuals who refuse to travel there as individuals.

Are the americans on this forum feeling any of this or is it just background noise?

For all the lefties here you can sign up to http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/ :ph34r:

thanks

Rolfe

Well travel between the USA and Canada will soon drop off by a huge amount. I think in about a year Americans will need a passport to re-enter the USA via ground from Canada or Mexico. And Canadians will need a passport to enter the USA via ground as well. Prior to that a bith certificate or drivers license was all you needed.

This will destroy the number of "day trips" Americans and Candians have been used to for over a century. Will an American get a passport just so he can drive into Canada for a few hours? No way.

American passport holders are well below 50% of the population.

When I was a kid they never even asked for any ID at the border, the guard would stick his head in the car and ask each person to identify themselves as a Canadian verbally then you could just drive in. Easy.

One thing I have noticed is the big drop off in Americans on overseas trips. Before 9/11 there used to be a lot of Americans on my various tours, now there are hardly any.

I'm not sure why this is?

Devaluation of the US dollar? Americans feel unsafe? Americans feel hated and unwelcome in foreign countries?

I have certainly seen a huge jump up in Anti-American sentiment since Bush came to power. I have to constantly tell people, "I'm Canadian! Canadian!" I was quite shocked by the anti-American slogans plastered all over Buenos Aires when I was there last year. And the protests that greeted Bush on his South American tour this year go along with that.

The good news for Americans is that once Bush is gone, America's image in the world should improve. Unless Americans elect some one worse.

Unfortunately the USA is now often viewed as an out of control rogue state that ignores all international protocol and does as it pleases. The images from Abu Ghraib are burned into every ones mind.

R,

• Premium Member
Unfortunately the USA is now often viewed as an out of control rogue state that ignores all international protocol and does as it pleases. The images from Abu Ghraib are burned into every ones mind.

R,

We're working on changing that as fast as possible. I only hope that people understand that our form of government makes it pretty difficult to change foreign and national defense policy short of a new administration. Be thankful those of you who live in parlimentary countries, you can say "This isn't working" and do something about it. A Prime Minister with 29% favorables would probably be looking for a new job rather quickly.

• Premium Member

"You join us on a beautiful Spring morning here in southern Nevada, and as combatants square up on the parking lot to decide once and for all what 4K means and if it exists in a worthwhile package, I can see the beginnings of what promises to be a particularly piquant and memorable series of technical arguments among the arrogant, the moneyed, and just very occasionally the informed. Don't you think so, June?"

"Absolutely, Bob. And once I've finished looking through these sponsor messages I've been deluged with for the last six weeks, we'll take a break for some messages from our sponsors."

Oh, I love it here - that special frisson of excitement you get as you pass under the sign:

"WELCOME TO THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. WE SHOOT TO KILL."

Or something like that, or possibly something not very much like that at all. Still, it's reassuring to find the usual things are in place. The dazzlingly high standard of customer service. The startlingly low standard of broadcast TV news. Bob and June. The novel and encouraging idea of pancakes as a healthful breakfast snack. The concept of "healthful" as a word.

Hail NAB.

Phil

I have certainly seen a huge jump up in Anti-American sentiment since Bush came to power. I have to constantly tell people, "I'm Canadian! Canadian!" I was quite shocked by the anti-American slogans plastered all over Buenos Aires when I was there last year. And the protests that greeted Bush on his South American tour this year go along with that.

You should have seen the graffiti about Bush and the US goverment in all the Youth Hostels round europe when I was inte-railing for a month just after the Iraq invasion.

Most of it was appologies from from US tourists/travelers, often on the toilet doors, thats when the toilets had doors.... (luxury!)

• Premium Member

Well, I'm off to Las Vegas in the morning... will take my laptop along in case I run into some wi-fi...

Looks like the line to get into the RED tent may be too long for me unless I go early Weds. morning when the convention hall opens.

I'll be home Weds. night.