Canon 1014AZ vs Nizo Pro

Mat Newman

Hello out there. I would like to know if anyone has an opinion about two particular cameras: The Nizo Professional, and the Canon 1014AZ.

I understand they are both good cameras, but am nonetheless curious to know if any film makers have experience of both, and what their respective merits are .i.e. if either one boasts a better lens, or more useful/practical features. I have no experience of shooting super 8 (this will be my first jump into 8mm film waters), and therefore am a little in the dark as to what I should look out for. For example, I was told that a Bauer 715XLS was fantastic, only to discover that it doesn't accept modern 8mm film stocks and needs to be tweaked.

Thanks,

Matthew

I cant say i am experienced nor have i tried that many Super8 camers. However i do know that my NIZO 6080 is a very good camera. It very quite when running so you can record sound pretty easy without taking any extreme measures. The new film stocks are no problem running (at least i have had none). And its a very good camera IMHO.

Just my 2 cents.

cheers, and welcome to the Super8 world.

Edited by Benny Hardin

I once shot for the same project stuff with a nizo pro and a canon 814 autozoom electronic.

I prefered the images of the canon they were somehow punchier, more contrast and better colors, but I can't say if it's due to the glass or the internal 85 filter that made the difference...

The nizo has plenty of cool feutures like time lapse, time exposure, 25 i/s etc on the other hand the lens of the canon is a little faster... I don't know about the 1014 az, but I liked the lens on the 814 az, maybe not the sharpest ever, but I like the way it renders colors and contrast...

To me nizos seem more robust, I never had a nizo let me down, while I killed allready 3 canons...

for the noise it might be about the same... (nizo pro and 814AZ are much noisier than a 6080)

the lightmeter of the bauer 715XL can be customized to be used with modern filmsocks...

http://super8wiki.com/index.php/Bauer_S_715_XL_Microcomputer

links at the bottom of the page...

other wise do manual exposure...

cheers, Bernhard

Edited by Bernhard Zitz

Thanks for the different tips; it's interesting to see how different cameras are very good for different specific things - it seems, as ever, that there is no one universally great camera!

For the price I have to pay for a mint Nizo Pro with extras like a wide angle, I'm looking at a canon 1014xls as an alternative with similar spec - although the design of the thing seems awful. Nizo looks like it might be easier to handle, and it's certainly easier on the eye ;) . The Bauer 715 looks great, but I'm just starting, don't want to start pulling them apart and modifying yet...

The Nizo Professional model comes in 2 versions: US model running at 24fps and Euro at 25 fps.

Both have pilotone and crystal sync capabilities but do not have built -in sound recording.

The Canon 1014 series has all the sound recording devices but Super 8 sound film is no longer

produced!java script:emoticon('%3C_%3C',%20'smid_1') If you are looking for a Nizo that has almost all the features of the Pro version

except pilotone and 25fps capability, try a 561 or a 801 model: same lens, time lapse features,

auto exposure, etc... They are cheaper to buyjava script:emoticon(':)',%20'smid_3')

The Nizo Pro is the Euro version of the 801, just that it has 25fps instead of 24. there may be some other differences, but none that I am aware of. 1014E is a great camera but the Nizos have all the same stuff (except 10X zoom) but so much easier to handle.

The Nizo Professional also does not require the mercury batteries. All functions run from the six AA batteries unlike the other Nizos in the same series (481,561,801).

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I bought the Nizo with a UWIII, and it's a beaut. Pics on 64T look great, developed here in Berlin. Wide angle is a barnstormer. Couldn't be happier with the choice. Thanks for the tips and advice...