record errors on the Genesis

Douglas Hunter

Today looking at Dailies we saw some very brief digital micro blocking on a shot. I talked to Panavision about it and they provided excellent information about why it might have occurred and how to guard against it. The error was very brief and does not hurt us in this instance, but I'm curious if others have seen this or other record errors with the Genesis / SRW -1 system. If so, what kind of problems and how often have they occured?

thanks.

Guys, with all due respect I didn't post asking for speculation about what caused the issue I saw. That's been handled, I'm curious to know if other Genesis users have seen any kind of record erros and how common they are.

I have not experienced any recording errors when using the SRW1 deck, well not yet anyway. I have also used this deck on the Sony HDC 950 with no problems.

There are numerous factors that could cause this problem as is the case with any digital tape format.

Anything from dirt to tape manufacture defects to a knock on the deck during capture or even a dirty connector pin could cause the problem you encountered. Speculation is fruitless, I would trust the explanation you got from the guys at PV.

I will look into the problem you experienced and let you know what I find.

Hope that your experience did not affect your decision to use the Genesis in the future.

I will look into the problem you experienced and let you know what I find.

Hope that your experience did not affect your decision to use the Genesis in the future.

No need to look into in since as I wrote above the issue was taken care of to my satisfaction. My ONLY QUESTION was if other Genesis users have experienced record issues using the system.

I don't think this problem has left a negative impression with anyone on the production concerning the Genesis camera. Further Panavision was quick to respond to my questions. The provided good details and were easy to comunicate with. I'm simply trying to be rigorous by checking to see if other users have had any record issues that we should look out for. that's all.

• Premium Member

Yep, we had the camera in a car and were hand held with it and every once in a while if the car drove over a bump we got a big purple flash, this was over a year ago. Although a friend of mine was working with the camera about four months ago and had big issues with getting dropouts every time the camera car drove over some big bumps. From what I have heard this was a problem with the mechanism connecting the camera to the recorder, I also heard that they took care of this problem though.