Good deal on a Arri 16 SP?

Evan Ferrario

• Premium Member
I recently found out a friend is selling his Arriflex 16 SP Camera with 1 mag, a motor and 3 lens for $750. I thought this was a good deal but I wanted to see if this is a decent 16mm camera and if its worth that price.

I am pretty familiar with the whole line and history of Arriflex cameras, and I do not know of any Arriflex 16 SP. There was a bad Russian knock off camera made years ago, that got the nickname Arriflex 16 SP, is that the camera you are talking about? Or are you referring to an Arriflex 16S/B or possibly an Arriflex 16St? Or maybe even an Arriflex 16SR. For the price you are talking, I would suspect it is an Arriflex 16St or S/B.

If you could clarify which camera it is, we may be able to give you more information. If it turns out to be either an Arriflex 16S, 16S/B or 16St, you can find quite a bit of information at the web site:

www.Arri16S.com

-Tim

Evan,

Yes, that is the Russian knock-off camera I was talking about. It is not made by ARRI and is not an Arriflex. I would steer clear of that if I were you.

-Tim

thanks for identifying it Tim. Is this camera still good to use? If I could get the price down to 400ish?

Also what do I need to power it if I want it to be handheld.

• Premium Member
thanks for identifying it Tim. Is this camera still good to use? If I could get the price down to 400ish?

Also what do I need to power it if I want it to be handheld.

I don't know anything about it Evan. There were quite a number of knock-offs made in those days. I would not want to own any of them.

-Tim