A question of optics? (Medium format lens on a video camera)

Andrew Spirk

My question is kind of simple;

I've been playing with the M2 adaptor with a JVC HD110U and a Nikon lens mount on the M2. My question is this, what's stopping someone from using a medium format lens like a Hasselblad (zeiss) or equivalent in a DV setup?

There's a huge difference in the target "negative" size from a 35mm to 65-70mm lens. There is a vast amount of information on the internet regarding this subject, however, I was kind of looking for opinions from the members of this site because I'm sure a few of you have tried this or have a lot of experience with this specific situation.

To add to this, I remember a few years ago there was a guy in NJ who made adaptors for any SLR lens out there for an XL1. No idea what that entailed, but they were around 1250$ at the time about.

So, any specific experience or advice on my question (be my question valid or faulty) would be appreciated.

• 1 year later...

a friend of mine has put an array of adaptor rings and uses leica lenses on his hd250u + m2 setup

i just picked up a hd110u + redrock m2 package, i cant wait to mess around with it. i also plan to use different lenses, but for my budget in the time being, nikkor lenses will have to do.

hasselblad glass is pricey =)

• Premium Member
I've been playing with the M2 adaptor with a JVC HD110U and a Nikon lens mount on the M2. My question is this, what's stopping someone from using a medium format lens like a Hasselblad (zeiss) or equivalent in a DV setup?

Nothing is, but what is the point? You'd only use a very small portion of the huge image circle and most of the glass would be wasted. Besides, the fastest Zeiss I know is only 2.8. and most of the are in the 3.5 to 4 area. And the FFD on medium format cameras is rather large to make room for the large mirror assembly so your lens-adapter-camera package would get longer still.

So unless you have these lenses lying around unused I don't see why you would adapt them to your M2. And for the price of a single Zeiss 'Blad lens you could get a very decent set of extremely nice MF Nikkors!

Speaking of 35mm Zeisses for Contax cameras is something else though. IIRC these are pretty common adapted to cine camera and you could do the same to mount them on the Redrock.

Cheers, Dave

• Premium Member
You'd only use a very small portion of the huge image circle and most of the glass would be wasted.

True, but only really harmful with lenses that are wide angle for their intended (larger) format. That's where the big design compromises lurk.

-- J.S.

• Premium Member
True, but only really harmful with lenses that are wide angle for their intended (larger) format. That's where the big design compromises lurk.

True, but not being harmful doesn't really mean being beneficial.

Cheers, Dave

• Premium Member

You certainly could. I wouldn't suggest it. The already ungainly rig would get even longer and even more unbalanced with the long flange focal depth of medium format and with the larger, heavier lenses themselves.

I won't even get into the argument about why, if you have the money for a set of hasselblad primes, you should just use a higher end camera system in the first place rather than an awkward adapter.;)

• 2 months later...