Help finding a transfer house in Vermont

Evan Ferrario

I am shooting a film on regular 16mm in a few months and I am trying to find the best transfer house to use. I live in Vermont and there are no film labs in the state. I figured New York would be my best bet to check, but I also have been looking in Boston.

Pretty much I want to find a place that will process and transfer my film to HD hard drive files. I am still a little confused between telecine and di, but I am looking for the cheapest method possible, not so cheap it doesn't look good though. Eventually we are planning on entering the film in a few festivals so I want it to be nice enough quality to be projected on a big screen.

Any suggestions on labs would be great.

• Site Sponsor
I am shooting a film on regular 16mm in a few months and I am trying to find the best transfer house to use. I live in Vermont and there are no film labs in the state. I figured New York would be my best bet to check, but I also have been looking in Boston.

Pretty much I want to find a place that will process and transfer my film to HD hard drive files. I am still a little confused between telecine and di, but I am looking for the cheapest method possible, not so cheap it doesn't look good though. Eventually we are planning on entering the film in a few festivals so I want it to be nice enough quality to be projected on a big screen.

Any suggestions on labs would be great.

We are the closest lab to you, national in boston will do hi-def transfers to HD you could process with us and we can courier the film to boston. Keep in mind that Std16 fits funny in the HD frame. Another alternative is to do 2k scans there is a guy in LA we have been doing a few jobs through while I look at scanners the issue with a 2K scan is that it then needs to be graded.

Feel free to call if interested.

-Rob-

thanks for the reply.

Yeah I know that standard 16 is going to be square. I had been considering Ultra 16 because I could modify the cameras I have but I've been finding it's not a good format for transfer to HD as it's not supported by a lot of places.

My other option would be to crop the image and I'm not sure about the quality of that, I figured I would get the video done in reguar 16. If I want to crop it, I will do it myself in final cut, if cropping looks bad, I can just leave it standard.

thanks for the reply.

Yeah I know that standard 16 is going to be square. I had been considering Ultra 16 because I could modify the cameras I have but I've been finding it's not a good format for transfer to HD as it's not supported by a lot of places.

My other option would be to crop the image and I'm not sure about the quality of that, I figured I would get the video done in reguar 16. If I want to crop it, I will do it myself in final cut, if cropping looks bad, I can just leave it standard.

why standard 16 over super 16? is is the camera rental cost? If you can only use standard 16 then may I suggest that you transfer to hard drive as an uncompressed file. You can later lay your movie to Digibeta tape. Despite what some may say, it is the most cost effective way to get the best results for your movie. Digibeta is accepted at almost all festivals world wide. I used Cinelab and National in much the same manor that Rob explained. I could not be happier with the results. We shot on Super 16 on the Fuji Eterna 250T. Transfered as uncompressed 10 bit HD to hard drive. If you want, private messege me and I can send you a DVD of the stuff we had transfered at National. They use a Shadow and it is the best transfer that you can get in New England.

why standard 16 over super 16? is is the camera rental cost? If you can only use standard 16 then may I suggest that you transfer to hard drive as an uncompressed file. You can later lay your movie to Digibeta tape. Despite what some may say, it is the most cost effective way to get the best results for your movie. Digibeta is accepted at almost all festivals world wide. I used Cinelab and National in much the same manor that Rob explained. I could not be happier with the results. We shot on Super 16 on the Fuji Eterna 250T. Transfered as uncompressed 10 bit HD to hard drive. If you want, private messege me and I can send you a DVD of the stuff we had transfered at National. They use a Shadow and it is the best transfer that you can get in New England.

Right now I'm restricted to 16mm because I have 2 cameras available to me that are both regular 16, I am going to be spending most of my budget on film stock and other things. Thanks for the suggestions. I've looked up on 10bit and I think this is my best option. I've been looking at cinelab, I couldn't find the website for national, could anyone point me in that direction.

Guest Kyle Waszkelewicz
Right now I'm restricted to 16mm because I have 2 cameras available to me that are both regular 16, I am going to be spending most of my budget on film stock and other things. Thanks for the suggestions. I've looked up on 10bit and I think this is my best option. I've been looking at cinelab, I couldn't find the website for national, could anyone point me in that direction.

www.nationalboston.com