16mm sound?

adam schutzman

hello...

im a complete newbie with little expereience, so bear with me...im planning on shooting a very short, experimental silent B&W 16mm film clip soon...and was wondering about adding sound/music...is it possible to get sound added onto a silent 16mm film (via an optical soundtrack strip)? how much does that cost?? is it done at the same time as the film processing? theres no dialouge, so no need for exact timing....anyways, thanks in advance!

~adam

ps- how about magnetic sound strips? i know some old 16mm film prints had that and could seemingly be recorded onto easily with the right projector...do they make such film anymore?

is it possible to get sound added onto a silent 16mm film (via an optical soundtrack strip)? how much does that cost?? is it done at the same time as the film processing?

Are you doing neg or reversal? in both ways you have to do some lab-work, interpositiv, internegativ, optical sound neg etc... wich can be expensiv... and 16mm optical sound is very poor quality...

theres no dialouge, so no need for exact timing....anyways, thanks in advance!

if it hasn't to be very exact I'd put the sound on a CD and hit play when your projection starts

ps- how about magnetic sound strips? i know some old 16mm film prints had that and could seemingly be recorded onto easily with the right projector...do they make such film anymore?

you can ad magnetic sound strips to your projection print or camera-original(reversal), no idea if there's a lab still doing it. Sometimes machines to do the job pop up on ebay...

• 3 weeks later...

hello...

it is reversal film im working with...how much do you think making a print with an optical soundtack of 100' feet of film would cost (with reversal film)? any help would be great. thanks again!

~adam

Are you doing neg or reversal? in both ways you have to do some lab-work, interpositiv, internegativ, optical sound neg etc... wich can be expensiv... and 16mm optical sound is very poor quality...

if it hasn't to be very exact I'd put the sound on a CD and hit play when your projection starts

you can ad magnetic sound strips to your projection print or camera-original(reversal), no idea if there's a lab still doing it. Sometimes machines to do the job pop up on ebay...

It depends if youre shooting super16 or not, in the case that you are shooting super, there is no room for optical sound so you would have to blow up to 35mm and add the sound. In addition to the aforementioned process ranging from about $100-200 total(at student rates) , processing reversal costs about 3 times more than processing negative film. Why not just shoot negative and transfer it and add the sound digitally?

Guest Michael Carter

If you are shooting regular 16mm 1R and not Super 16 then you could send me the roll and I'd run it through my Auricon and record whatever sound on it you would want in optical sound on film for ? $15. but I use it for lip sync head shots.

Michael Carter

...it is reversal film im working with......

That might be your first mistake. There is no longer a B&W reversal print film, and making a direct positive optical track for printing on to this nonexistent stock is becoming a lost art. So to make copies you would have to make an expensive B&W internegative plus an A Wind negative track, to make prints from. Instead:

Shoot B&W negative, make a cheap one-light work print with printed through edge numbers for editing. Send your audio off to any one of many labs that make 16mm B Wind optical track negatives such as Noise & Light in Seattle. I am not sure what the current rate is, perhaps 30 cents per foot. Sync up your edited negative with the optical track and send them off to a lab to make a composite positive print. If your exposure is perfect this could maybe be a cheap one light composite work print. Otherwise you will need a First Trial or Answer Print.

You will need an Answer Print anyway if you are going to make up the negative into A&B rolls for invisible splices in the print, and any printer fades and dissolves. Explaining how to do all this requires that you buy an ACVL Handbook from the lab as this is way beyond what can be described in an internet posting.

Guest Michael Carter
Send your audio off to any one of many labs that make 16mm B Wind optical track negatives such as Noise & Light in Seattle.

Clive,

Could you provide some links to labs that do that? Thanks.

Michael Carter

...Could you provide some links to labs that do that?...

The last I heard Noise & Light were at (206) 528-5577 and as a very small operation they should be happy to do a simple custom job. I am not aware of them having a website.

Whoever took over Western Cine in Denver should be able to do it. The big labs and sound services in LA and NY are mostly busy doing miles of 35mm tracks for feature film release printing, might not remember how to make 16mm tracks, and might not be so happy to talk to you. Also they may do their 16mm tracks on 35/32 stock which you have to pay extra to get slit to 16mm and then the track might have a lot of weave in it. Lab slit edges are not as straight as Kodak or Agfa slit ones.

• Premium Member
The last I heard Noise & Light were at (206) 528-5577 and as a very small operation they should be happy to do a simple custom job. I am not aware of them having a website.

Passing that number into Google gives a residential Phone number of "Chris Millar (206) 528-5577 128 NW 76th St,Seattle, WA 98117" and also a directory page listing "Noise and Light 128 NW 76th St. Seattle, WA 98117 Tel. 206/528-5577" - "Noise and Light is the Northwest's only optical track service lab, and they work closely with both Alpha Cine and Forde. They also offer Video-to-Film transfers."

and another directory which has "Noise and Light film audio solutions in WA. 206-528-5577 Contact: Chris "

No website