Anybody knows those?

Has anybody used or heard of these?: http://www.hedler.com/produkte/h-leuchte/h-lightunits.htm

I was offered a good deal on a kit with a couple of those, complete with barndoors etc.

I was out for some open faced lights and was eyeballing a kit with 800w Redheads, barndoors and stands but then I was offered this. The number of fixtures is the same. The difference is the Redheads come with stands and cost almost the double. The Hedler kit comes without stands but can go up to 2500w each. Besides putting out more light they take two bulbs of up to 1250w each, which you can turn on independently. You can also have different wattage bulbs in the same fixture making it a quite flexible light. I have enough stands already and I?m thinking those would be more useful than the Redheads and they are much cheaper. Opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Or if have you never used these lights, I would still appreciate your opinion on these vs. the Redheads kit based on your knowledge of Redheads and the specs and pictures of the Hedler lights on the link I provided. ;)

Thanks for replying.

So are you guys saying you would take the 800W Redheads for the double of the price instead?

Since no matter what an open faced really can't be thrown directly on talent and will most likely be bounced, I can't see the advantage of the Redheads over these. These are more flexible (two independent bulbs with independent switches on each side, can be equipped with different wattage bulbs on each side) have more output (max 2500w each) and are half the price. What are the advantages you see on the Redheads?

Edited by Adam Paul

I would never buy lights that I haven't already used or demoed.

Try them out first and see if you like them.

I tested the lights today. I have to say they are great and put out a LOT of light for their size.

They are pretty solid and well built and come with barndoors and a gel frame.

The beam although not as wide as a Redhead on full flood is wider than most fresnels on flood. Since they don?t focus it?s actually a good mid range angle, neither really wide nor too narrow.

What I like most is the possibility of going from a 600w open faced to a 1250w or 1850w with the switch of a button. You can actually fit any combination of two bulbs up to 1250w each. With two 1250w bulbs working together it really kicks out some serious light, perfect for bouncing or diffusing from large surfaces. They are fan cooled which really helps keeping them cool.

All together I think I like it better than Redheads. Although Redheads are ?focusable? it?s not that big of a deal since you have to bounce or diffuse them anyways. Besides that, these lights are much more flexible than Redheads and at half the price I think it?s a non-brainer. If I need broader lights for background/set etc I have broads and if I need a focusable light I have fresnels, from Betweenies to Juniors (and I?ve been lusting after a pepper 100 and a Senior, although I can?t really justify the need for a Senior with they type of shooting I do). What I was after was some open faced lights as I only have a single Teenie Weenie. So I was (initially) after some Redheads. But I?m glad I found these.

They also seem great to use with a softbox because of the compact size.

They look quite different from the ones on the manufacturer?s website I gave the link to above. They must be an older model or something. They are actually round instead of square. Much more compact. Here?s an example that looks similar but the ones I tested were black and had barnboors etc.

http://www.cameras-scanners-flaar.org/phot...xe_on_table.JPG

http://www.cameras-scanners-flaar.org/phot...ngsten_lamp.jpg