this is so amazing, home telecine

Lisa Davidson

Does this work for both reversal and negative film?

I don't know; I've been wondering about that too. Do you know if Final Cut the easy version (cheap version) will do positive-negative inversion? And I noticed in this telecine program that they have a screen shot of the Epson "Twain" interface in which they have checked "Sharpen." I'm not sure how good that would be, like I know in Photoshop you should sharpen it yourself with lots more control than the scanner gives you, but I don't know if Final Cut has that ability. I don't have the program, and was also kind of wondering about shareware video-editing programs.

I'm not sure about Final Cut. I have Pinnacle Studio and it has the capability to "flip" an imagine (negative to positive) if that's what you mean. I have a HP ScanJet 4890 and it can scan a negative 35mm so I was hoping your program would work for Super 8 negatives. Is this system better than a Rank transfer? Even the DaVinci 888 Dui System?

I'm not sure about Final Cut. I have Pinnacle Studio and it has the capability to "flip" an imagine (negative to positive) if that's what you mean. I have a HP ScanJet 4890 and it can scan a negative 35mm so I was hoping your program would work for Super 8 negatives. Is this system better than a Rank transfer? Even the DaVinci 888 Dui System?

I would be surprised if it was better than a Rank, but I don't really know. All I know is what I read in their web page. Maybe it could be better if you have good color correction. But I'm not sure about the scratch reduction -- am I right in thinking that the Rank has a wet gate?

Hey Lisa, I'm guessing with the scanning method you wouldn't be able to fix scracthes and dirt like a Rank can. But your NLE program can color correct. I'm sort of a newbie so I'm not sure of the wet gate. I have heard of it though. I'm Sorry.

the wet gate system does use a fluid to fill in the scratches. im thinking its one of those very environmentaly unfriendly kinda liquids too, i dont remember what it is but more information can be gathered by googling.

as for home telecine of negative, its a lot more complicated than it seems. its not as simple as using a reverse function in software or a camera. ive been looking into it for a bit now. theres a website out there that shows you how to convert a cheap eumig super8 projector into a single frame grabbing telecine machine. its really quite simple. the problem is the images wont be that steady compared to doing it on pro telecine equipment. you need a pin registered system for that.

• Site Sponsor
the wet gate system does use a fluid to fill in the scratches. im thinking its one of those very environmentaly unfriendly kinda liquids too, i dont remember what it is but more information can be gathered by googling.

as for home telecine of negative, its a lot more complicated than it seems. its not as simple as using a reverse function in software or a camera. ive been looking into it for a bit now. theres a website out there that shows you how to convert a cheap eumig super8 projector into a single frame grabbing telecine machine. its really quite simple. the problem is the images wont be that steady compared to doing it on pro telecine equipment. you need a pin registered system for that.

The fluid is Perchlorethylene, Mmmm tasty. Used to be Tri-Chlor but that is now banned....

A wet gate will only really fill scratch problems on the film base, if there is an emulsion scratch it will still show up. Color negative film is allot softer than reversal films, running it in a Projection based system will invariably scratch it. That said color negative super8 when shot with a properly running camera and processed with attention to detail can be very clean and scratch free.

Modern Telecine systems are generally not pin registered (Cintel "rank" flying spot and Thompson Spirit and Shadow) they do have very complicated and high precision capstan drive mechanisms which are generally rock steady down to 0.01 fps and are gentle on the film they are transporting.

You could get good results with a slide scanner which had been modified for continuous film but you would be waiting a VERY VERY long time to scan a 50' Super8 cartridge.

-Rob-