SP-16 16mm camera information?

Evan Ferrario

dsc00549il0.jpg

I recently found this camera on sale and i had to buy it before i could test it or research it further. I am going to be shooting a film this summer and so I want to have the setup all working by then.

I found out the camera is a SP-16. Some places have been saying it is made by Kinor but others say it is Konvas, I am not sure if either company makes it.

I've looked on google and found limited information about the camera. It all seems to be in good shape but I haven't been able to test it out yet. I haven't been able to test the power of the camera yet. I tried hooking it up to a dc power supply at 6v but nothing seems to happen. I was told the motor was in working order.

Anyone who knows more about this camera I would love to hear from. I am also interested in converting the camera to super 16 or ultra 16 if supers not possible.

• Premium Member

We talked about this before you bought it. It is an Arriflex 16S "knock-off" camera, made by one of the Eastern Block countries back in the time of the U.S.S.R.

I don't know anything about it, including what voltage it takes to run the motor. Maybe Olex can help you.

Sorry,

-Tim

yeah this is the same camera I posted before. I ended up getting it for under 200 so I figured even if it's completly worthless, it's worth a try. As for it being a "knock off," I don't really mind or see why thats a terrible thing. It seems to be well made and compared to my other 16mm camera, a pathe super 16, it has a nicer lens set and more professional build.

I found a copy of the camera on olex's site. It is a sp-16, no brand specified.

I also think the power supply i was using didn't have a strong enough current to power the camera. I hooked up a volt meter when I tried to power it on and there was current flowing. I am going to try a variable dc power supply I have tonight and I'll see how that works out.

We talked about this before you bought it. It is an Arriflex 16S "knock-off" camera, made by one of the Eastern Block countries back in the time of the U.S.S.R.

It's not exactly a knockoff, since it uses Eclair cameflex type mags. It's a hybrid.

But Olex has pointed out a number of times that it has the same lens mount as the Krasnogorsk-3 bayonet.

Thanks for the input guys. I got the camera working with a 6v motorcycle battery. Everything seems to be working great, it's quieter than i expected. I am going to be shooting some test footage later in the week so I'll see how it works out.

But Olex has pointed out a number of times that it has the same lens mount as the Krasnogorsk-3 bayonet.

Wixh is not a good thing.

Thanks for the input guys. I got the camera working with a 6v motorcycle battery. Everything seems to be working great, it's quieter than i expected. I am going to be shooting some test footage later in the week so I'll see how it works out.

Awesome! Post your resuilts when you get them back...

I got the camera working with a 6v motorcycle battery. Everything seems to be working great, it's quieter than i expected. I am going to be shooting some test footage later in the week so I'll see how it works out.

Awesome, there are few things more satisfying than getting a machine working with your own hands and resources...it becomes 'your own.'