hdcam SR to RED

Delorme Jean-Marie

is it recomended to plug an HD cam SR recorder to the RED to record on tape and avoid the data style recording.

i know it means more compression but it's also freedom on the field?

your opinion?

I suspect it'll depend on what your post people/clients require and if data back up copies are required by funders etc. The RED hard drive is a lot more compact than a HDCAM SR recorder, but how well the REDCODE workflow will fit in with existing post production remains to be seen.

so with an HDcam SR tape recorder you are out of the REDCODE data system and workflow correct?

You'd be recording onto HDCAM SR rather than REDCODE. I'd assume you'd be recording from the HD SDI (You've the option of either single or dual link) out from the camera into the HDCAM SR recorder.

is it recomended to plug an HD cam SR recorder to the RED to record on tape and avoid the data style recording.

i know it means more compression but it's also freedom on the field?

your opinion?

Wouldnt HD CAM SR straight off the camera be far less compression than redcode raw?

• Premium Member
Wouldnt HD CAM SR straight off the camera be far less compression than redcode raw?

Sort of apples and oranges -- in the first case, you'd be recording dual (4:4:4) or single-link (4:2:2) 1920 x 1080 RGB (not really RGB but you know what I mean) and in REDCODE RAW, you'd be recording either an un-Bayered 2K or 4K file.

Perhaps it's the same Redcode compression for the 2K "cropped" mode (thus a smaller file size) or perhaps you can use less compression when you use it in 2K mode, I don't know.

So you're talking about very different types of signals and very different types of compression schemes. You'd want to test them. The Redcode compression is higher than HDCAM-SR, but it's a more processing-heavy "wavelet" type compression that is supposed to be more "lossless" than the HDCAM-SR type of compression (although most people find HDCAM-SR compression to be minor -- on the other hand, you're recording 1080P with it, not 4K Bayered images.)

Also, the RAW recording has to be de-Bayered at some point. Like I said, it's two radically different ways of dealing with image recording.

I'm also assuming that the HD-SDI option mean that you are getting the sensor area cropped to 1920 x 1080, or do you have the option of shrinking a 4K full-sensor image capture to 1920 x 1080 through in-camera processing (which would have to include de-Bayering) before it goes out the HD-SDI?

I'm also assuming that the HD-SDI option mean that you are getting the sensor area cropped to 1920 x 1080, or do you have the option of shrinking a 4K full-sensor image capture to 1920 x 1080 through in-camera processing (which would have to include de-Bayering) before it goes out the HD-SDI?

both options are availabe.

oversampled 4k to 1080p will give you better images and the 35mm DOF, and max 60p.

S16 and 2/3 cropped sensor are also available, if you want t double 35mm glass or use s16 or 2/3 glass.

one of the sweetspots of the red isn´t available via HDCAM SR (or hd-sdi), that is

120P@S16croppedsensor@2K, this is only available via the rawport.

a full list of the formats can be found at

http://red.com/formatoptions.htm