achief a certain look

Hey

i was watching some television when i saw the new commercial for we fashion

it looks really great. So i started thinking about how the cinemathographer achiefed such a look

what kind of processing he used to create this look. My guess is they used bleach bypass this could be wrong so i hope someone could tell me how they created this look

you can find the clip here

thanks in advance

pepijnpost-4116-1176414645.jpg

Edited by Pepijn Robben

• Premium Member

I like the fact that they don't seem to mind nudity in European TV commercials...

Sure, some of it looks like skip-bleach negative (like when she's in that parking lot in her car, with the shopping carts). Some of it doesn't, just looks like muted colors, probably done in post color-correction.

The dance scene is stolen right from Saura/Storaro's "Tango"...

Hey David

thanks for your reaction

I just got one question is the low detail in the dark area's of the frame also done in the post

or did they achieved that with the bleach bypass. My second guess is that they pushed

greetz pepijn

• Premium Member
Hey David

thanks for your reaction

I just got one question is the low detail in the dark area's of the frame also done in the post

or did they achieved that with the bleach bypass. My second guess is that they pushed

greetz pepijn

It's hard to tell from a low-rez, compressed U-tube video -- but it's easy to add more contrast in post.

http://members.netro.com.au/~bliss/largeimagepages/we.html

Mark Bliss shot that. Who's a awesome dp. You should ask him, I'm sure he would let you know. I'm assuming he did that in Telecine. Let us know what he says if you ask. I used that commercial as a reference on this feature I'm doing and the director loved to: "Thats the best commercial ever."

Edited by Chayse Irvin

Thanks everbody for your reply's

I have send a mail to mark bliss and this is his reply

to go straight to the chase I did not use bleach by pass, or pushed the stock, what you see is what happened in the camera, I used mostly 50 ASA daylingt stock for majority of day scenes, 250 D for late afternoon and mornings and 500T vision for the interior night shots.

greetz pepijn

ps. thanks Mark for this reply

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone,

While browsing the net I came across this forum and this particular section,

I shot the WE commercial and would like to add to the discussion a couple of facts.

First I have to admit not ever seeing "Tango" (pardon my ignorance) sorry David, but I'll promise to go and see it now :-) , so if the scene is reminiscent of Tango it's purely coincidental.

Along the TVC we also shot a music video, which is an extended version and has more narrative to it. There's a quick time of it on my website at www.markbliss.com in the music video section

As was previously stated I did not use bleach by pass as we did not have the facility to do in Argentina, and also the time pressure was such, that we had no

time to do tests.

We used Series 4 Cooke lenses, 98% was hand held and I used 50 and 250 D Vision stock and for interiors we used 500T, I did not push the stock and yes we did tweak the contrast a little in post. I personally preferred the look of the "one light" print of the original telecine. I had a less polished look. Most of the interiors were shot close to wide open.

The look was achieved mostly with lighting or the lack off. :-)

The light in Argentina had a very special quality and even though the shoot was extremely exhausting and we shot it pretty much on the run I am very happy I had the chance to be part of this production.

The tango scene was shot during normal running of the tango hall and was shot in stifling heat, most of the dancing scene was shot with a 85mm or 135 mm lenses. The scene was lit with existing fixtures where we swapped bulbs for 40W from the original 25W, and we added a row of Par Cans with 650W bulbs and dimmed them down to about 30%

The processing and telecine was done in Buenos Aires and I was very happy with the crew and the post process as well.

I hope it clears some of the questions raised earlier, if not get in touch with me to answer specific questions.

With respect

mark

• Premium Member

Thanks for the info, Mark. Shows why it's so hard to deconstruct how something was shot based on a YouTube clip.

Maybe all tango halls look similar, hence why there is a similar scene in "Tango"... It could, in fact, be the same tango hall.

By the way, you need to go to My Controls and edit your Display Name into a real first and last name as per the forum rules.

This tango hall was the real McCoy, a beauty from the 30's full of character and screen value that you could not get otherwise, and the place was full of wanderful characters that you could not get through any casting sessions,

thanks for the tip, I was totally oblivious to any rules when I was creating this account,

it was very hard to see the cut version for all the beauty that was left on the cutting room floor,

but that's life of a DOP

cheers

Thanks for the info, Mark. Shows why it's so hard to deconstruct how something was shot based on a YouTube clip.

Maybe all tango halls look similar, hence why there is a similar scene in "Tango"... It could, in fact, be the same tango hall.

By the way, you need to go to My Controls and edit your Display Name into a real first and last name as per the forum rules.

• 1 month later...