reccomended texts for lighting...

My favourites:

Professional Cinematography

This is a reprint of a 1964 book that deals with the traditional techniques of studio cinematography. It's a great text, and most of the techniques can be modified and applied to almost any kind of filmmaking style (except doing shaky pseudo reality DV <_< ). Check out the DVD of INHERIT THE WIND (1960) to see what great lighting job the author did in black&white.

Painting with Light (John Alton)

This is considered a classic, but it is to be taken with a grain of salt. If you want to learn how to light black&white, it's a great text. Although John Alton is generally considered to be a master of excentric color photography, I feel his work for AN AMERICAN IN PARIS (long ballet sequence) or THE BROTHERS KARAMAZOV is overrated, cinematography should IMHO not be self-concious because it has to serve the storytelling. But for learning black&white cinematography PAINTING WITH LIGHT is a fine book.

• Premium Member

Film Lighting(talks with hollywood's cinematographers,gaffers)

by Kris Malkeiewicz-Fireside Book,Simon & Schuster, ASC store has it.

Masters of Light (conversations with contemporary cinematographers)

by Dennis Schaefer and Larry Salvato

University of California Press, ASC store has it.

If you are not familiar with ASC store you can find it at:

www.theasc.com

All the books referenced here are excellent books on lighting and cinematography.

One book that I found interesting is "Light Fantastic: The Art and Design of Stage Lighting by Max Keller". It is about lighting for theater, but unlike some of the cinematography books, explains the moods of each color and its color meaning. I really enjoyed having it in my collection. The only drawback, it carries a hefty price tag. Also, even though it is for theater lighting, it gives you (at least for me) perspective on what light to use to motivate a scene, etc.

And if you want to learn more about lighting, check out the photography books on how to light for glamour, b&w, portrait, how to light for commercial photography. Some photography books for lighting for architectural photos give you some insight on how to light house interiors, externals etc.

You said,

"technichal info and descriptions of various lights. I need to expand my technical knowledge of lighting and electric."

Check out,

Set Lighting Technicians Handbook by Harry C Box

Motion Picture And Video Lighitng by Blain Brown

C.-

• Premium Member

Also one very good source I forgot about:

KODAK- DVD, Art of Lighting For Film

Available at the ASC STORE (you can get elsewhwere. I just personally

like to support the ASC)

I think this is an excellent instructional dvd.

Best Regards,

Happy Shooting!

• Premium Member

Very Good Article On Lighting In Shutterbug Magazine,Oct. Issue Now

On Newstands.

Making One Light Two by Steve Bedell

Page 60, covers quanity,quality,direction,color,big light source.

Get the main and fill from one source.