435 Loading

Mike Panczenko

I have a job with the 435 on Saturday, and I have a question about its loading. I am a loader who puts the takeup core in with the slit going with the film (in a 9P design, it would point against the direction of operation). In the 435 manual, it says "the slit must point in the direction of operation". Now, this sounds pretty definite, but I was wondering if this is indeed a necessity, as the manual portrays it. It is not a big deal either way, but I'm just wondering. You know how we loaders are set in our ways! Thanks.

I think the manual says to go with the way of the core (like a P) because when the film loops around the core it is smoother in that direction than compared to the against the grain way. if you put the film in and bend it back then it will leave a crease and the film will not ride as smoothly as the way the manual says. Even though sound isnt an issue, when running the 435 at high speeds its better to have the film as smooth as possible.

• Premium Member

I've always done as Audiris, as I'm always scared the film would release from the core if the film is not well tight around it. (the mag occures to move before there's enough stock around the take core to be sure it doesn't happen) Feels like it keep it from leaving the core. If you want to do as Arri suggests, make more rounds around the core and check that the film is well tight : turn the core while pulling gently on the film as if you wanted to keep it from rounding and if it resists, it's fine. I actually don't know if I would take the risk. Problem with sound is more with the edges. Maybe there's a sensor for the take up roll and this could be why they would like the film to perfectly go around the core, as the technic audiris and I do might make the thickness core irregular ?

Thanks guys!

Yeah, I always load against the direction or operation, but, as it is not a big deal, I think for this one I'll do it with the direction, just so no mishaps occur- I'm totally unfamiliar with the 435, so better safe than sorry. I'm sure it would probably be fine, as you guys said, but I think I'll do it this way this time- and then go back to my normal habits. I appreciate it guys, thanks for the responses!

Do you guys fold the first cm/ 1/2" of the film? this way you double the thickness and that fits nice and tight in the slit. I´ve always done that, never lost a core.

Tape is not recommended, I think the lab could have issues with that during developmend, if they fail to remove all the tape.

Adam Frisch wrote:

Don't you guys use the coreless ones where you snap the film on the spindle? I think those are great - no hassle and less wastage.

I don´t think the 435 magazines are equipped woth collapseble cores, at least I have never seen one.

Rob van Gelder

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

If you load it opposite of operation, it will make a little more noise for the 1st 50 feet or so.

Because the guide roller will jump up and down until the bump dissapears from the film tension.

It wont really effect the operation, but generally what happens, is the DP turns to the 1st AC and says, "why are these mags so clunky?, CUT! You better check it." This can be a real pain in the fanny.

So my advice is to load it the recommended way. In the direction of operation.

I have found that folding 2 - 3 inches of the film squarely back on itself and sliding it into the core, works best. Doing this will allow you to feel that it is in straight and it will be snug in the core.

Collapsable Cores are nice, but I havent seen many true 435 mags with those, Converted 35-3 mags may have them and they work fine, but I think ARRI abandoned them when they realized it was one more costly item that wasnt really needed. Did you ever see the price of a collapsable core?

Joe C

• 2 weeks later...

I always worry about the film slips off from the core even until now. You'll never know when your bad luck strikes. As for me, i have to make sure that the "Take up really takes up" and I have been using the same method as Rob for that past 8 years. I always manually roll 1 to 2 feet on the take up side. So far, I have no problem running from 1 fps to 150fps.

As for noise, i think it's not a major problem as long you make sure no scratches. I think you know how to check scratches on the negs. do you ? :D

"Better be safe then sorry"

• Premium Member

The film is usually folded over itself to fit into the core tightly, in the direction of operation. Then you just give the core several turns (keeping tension on the film) so that when the camera starts up it won?t jerk out of the core.

Kevin Zanit

Yeah, the shoot went fine. I always go with the slit as opposed to against it, so I was just wondering if that would be okay since the manual seemed so adamant about it. I was going to load against the slit, but I ended up doing it the way I normally do, and everything was fine. It was really easy and smooth to load, too. Thanks everyone for the help!