This is a technique that I have seen many times recently and I too have been wondering how it is done.

One great example is from Justine Timberlake's recent video 'my love'

http://www.ifilm.com/video/2779867

At 5' 20" the camera begins to roam freely, from a high angle the camera swoops downs and passes under his feet.

How is this done? Is it motion controlled?

Thanks

• Premium Member
Any guesses on how it was shot?

Looks like a decent sized jib on track or Technocrane, with a 360 3-axis head.

The Timberlake video was probably shot live on a green-screen stage, and used CGI and rotoscoping to blend the transition where the camera goes under a glass floor. Just a guess -- it's hard to conclude from a crappy compressed web video.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

there's only a couple of shots needing a bit of roto, some post framing, some nice crane work and some damn fine choreography. not really that complicated technically- though difficult to pull off well. any link to a bettter res version?

• 1 month later...

l_e1bde4496a50221550f3515c4e6edaa2.jpg

not a pic of the complete rig - better than nought though huh ;)

So it would be two passes ? one empty room that misguided dancers and arms and legs can be 'cleaned' to ?

Edited by Nick Mulder

• 4 months later...
My question - is where do the eight dancers come from behind her - at about the 20 sec mark

Any ideas

thanks

Rolfe

There is a video on youtube...if you go to the search bar..search- making of 1234...it's really cool, and the daceres just hide behind her...but i am sure there was some editing to make it just right. hope this helped.

• Premium Member
The same effect used here

</a>

It's all clever compositing.

Okay, what am I missing here? I don't see where any such effects had to be used. It looks like a very well executed bit of choreography between the dancers and the camera. The dancers were out of frame at the beginning and rushed in on cue, and they all lined up behind the artist at the end, where perspective took care of hiding them. I suppose it's possible there was some digital cleanup done for the end, but not necessary.

Quite a thing to pull off, though.