skip bleach + pull process fuji 250D

Hey all,

I'm gonna be shooting a music video coming up on super 16. I've been wanting to try a skip bleach combined with a pull process. I'd like the final image to to have a kind of blueish, sinister, contrasty, crunchy highlights, but not to be too overly grainy. Has anyone tried this? I'm thinking of the pull process so that I could expose the neg slightly more normally and not have it be overly dense. basically, I'd like to have a very funky, organic, unexpected quality to the image, which is what I had gotten before with skip bleaching 35mm '79.

Has anyone ever tried this? any advice? again, as it's for a music video, I won't be needing to go to print or anything...

this is kind of a point of inspiration - I love the messed-up look of the Anthony Mandler video for The Killers:

anybody know how they got that look? I just love the fogged or flashed look to the performance scenes...

thanks!!!

Kitao

kitaosakurai.com

• Site Sponsor
Hey all,

I'm gonna be shooting a music video coming up on super 16. I've been wanting to try a skip bleach combined with a pull process. I'd like the final image to to have a kind of blueish, sinister, contrasty, crunchy highlights, but not to be too overly grainy. Has anyone tried this? I'm thinking of the pull process so that I could expose the neg slightly more normally and not have it be overly dense. basically, I'd like to have a very funky, organic, unexpected quality to the image, which is what I had gotten before with skip bleaching 35mm '79.

Has anyone ever tried this? any advice? again, as it's for a music video, I won't be needing to go to print or anything...

this is kind of a point of inspiration - I love the messed-up look of the Anthony Mandler video for The Killers:

anybody know how they got that look? I just love the fogged or flashed look to the performance scenes...

thanks!!!

Kitao

kitaosakurai.com

Pulling the stock a stop will end up lowering the contrast and with the bypass it may slightly reduce the natural tendency to blow away the highlites. If you are looking for a more contrasty look you might want to control the exposure with ND instead of a pull.

I would shoot a 100' and try it out.

-Rob-

Hey all,

HI Kitao, Pulling? would reduce the grain and the bleach bypass would give a more contrasty image. You said you want to pull it and that would mean a faster development time. Pushing would expose the neg more!

Pulling seems like a great idea - the negative will still be very contrasty and dense, retaining the full bleach-bypass look, with just a more workable negative. The contrast and density loss of a 1-stop pull can't compare to the counter-effect of the B.B.

I've done BB + pull myself on a recent short - we were using Fuji Super-F 250T (8552). I like the effect because it does keep a fair amount of the characteristic bypass look while also minimizing grain and further desaturating the image. However, it is also something that you need to TEST, TEST, TEST, particularly with regards to exposure, filters, and even just the lab. We went with Technicolor UK and I found that when doing side-by-side comparisons between the footage that was just bypassed and the footage that was bypassed+pulled 1 stop, the bypass+pull footage looked a little bit warmer. I have no idea if that was the stock or the lab, but it was valuable to discover that.

• 1 month later...
I've done BB + pull myself on a recent short - we were using Fuji Super-F 250T (8552). I like the effect because it does keep a fair amount of the characteristic bypass look while also minimizing grain and further desaturating the image.

Hey jon,

I wanted to know if you exposed normally.

thanks

João

I rated it at 250 or 320, depending on the situation. Basically the pull takes a stop and the bypass gives you back a stop. But...your rating will be very dependent on the look you're going for and the particulars of the shot. How much you want the highlights to go over and how much you want to see into the shadows needs to be taken into account. Since I wanted to keep my contrast fairly constant over a wide range of shooting conditions (broad daylight to night exteriors), I also used a Varicon in conjunction, mainly just for the night exteriors, to keep the shadows from totally being lost. I didn't want to overexpose the film or not pull it because I wanted to keep the contrast managable. Were my concept for the film different, I might have been more open to those options.

I can't stress enough, though, that you have to test for both the stock and the lab. Oh, and try to test in the conditions you're likely to be in, whether that's day ext, night ext, high-key or low-key, etc... And of course putting the tests through your intended workflow would be ideal. But all that said, be bold! What's the point of paying extra to do this, otherwise? :)