The Big Pull

:lol:

So basically it was a success??

Galen I dont understand what you were trying to do here? If it was a joke then it was lost on the disgusting nose with blood etc and presumably nasal contents mixed in. Even if that was toned down pulling out the brain wasnt even that that great a joke? and would have to be done by someone who could add in some humour I.E. facial expressions etc. But then the added realism of the guys leg shaking as the brain walks away again took away any humour.

If this was supposed to be sick gory humour then it was a little unrealistic to be that either? I think you need to think more on what your trying to say with the piece and stick with that you cant have your cake and eat it? It seemed to be realistic in a gory and gross way that was attempting to be funny so it was a jack of all trades but master of none?

Galen I dont understand what you were trying to do here? If it was a joke then it was lost on the disgusting nose with blood etc and presumably nasal contents mixed in. Even if that was toned down pulling out the brain wasnt even that that great a joke? and would have to be done by someone who could add in some humour I.E. facial expressions etc. But then the added realism of the guys leg shaking as the brain walks away again took away any humour.

If this was supposed to be sick gory humour then it was a little unrealistic to be that either? I think you need to think more on what your trying to say with the piece and stick with that you cant have your cake and eat it? It seemed to be realistic in a gory and gross way that was attempting to be funny so it was a jack of all trades but master of none?

It's just a surreal 2 minute film. I think you are trying to read to much into it. What was I trying to say? I wasnt trying to say anything except create a mood and an action with a thin narrative structure.

It was by no means supposed to be funny. Again i think you might be trying to hard to find something that isnt there. Trying thinking of it as a painting or a picture that just happens to be moving.

I believe the treatise provided by Mark was a highly superficial one. His problem was not reading to much into it, but that he was trying to get something out of it. As you stated, you were not trying to say anything by it. Maybe that is where he is going wrong. I simply wonder, if you are not trying to say anything, then why use a medium of expression such as film to do so?

Anyway, if you were going for grotesque, then yes my friend, it was a success.

I believe the treatise provided by Mark was a highly superficial one. His problem was not reading to much into it, but that he was trying to get something out of it. As you stated, you were not trying to say anything by it. Maybe that is where he is going wrong. I simply wonder, if you are not trying to say anything, then why use a medium of expression such as film to do so?

Anyway, if you were going for grotesque, then yes my friend, it was a success.

Well yes I agree I never expected the film to be a moving artwork

It's simple, Mark, the string represents the xenobiotic anomalies we find in contemporary society. These intrusions attach themselves to the very life and mind and consciousness of our world, and to remove them would be fatal for society's 'body' and infrastructure, but freedom for its mind and spirit.

Haha, I thought it was awesome. Good job Gallen, very wierd. You should check out the work of Jan Svankmajer, I think it would be up your alley.

Well yes I agree I never expected the film to be a moving artwork

Yet you ask people to try and think of it that way after the fact...

heh heh - well, anyways - I laughed out loud... I found something hanging out of my brain the other day - good sound design, some nice low DOF 'snot-shot' shots - couple of awkard bits, cant say why but they just felt that way - like the hands at the door knob...

Wasn't that gross at all - jeez I dunno, maybe I have seen a lot of stuff in my life... send me to normal camp :rolleyes:

Yet you ask people to try and think of it that way after the fact...

--------------------------------------------------------

NO I dont I was agreeing to this statement

I believe the treatise provided by Mark was a highly superficial one. His problem was not reading to much into it, but that he was trying to get something out of it.

"yes I agree I never expected the film to be a moving artwork"

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Can you see the difference?

Thats what I was told and if the film maker says this is what it was then he must know what he was trying to do. However it doesn't mean thats the way I percieved it as obviously I didnt and I only have his word that it is. Which I accept.

Where have I asked people to agree its a moving artwork when Im saying I never expected it to be one never recognised it as one and never commented on what I thought when I was told it was one.

It's simple, Mark, the string represents the xenobiotic anomalies we find in contemporary society. These intrusions attach themselves to the very life and mind and consciousness of our world, and to remove them would be fatal for society's 'body' and infrastructure, but freedom for its mind and spirit

Why would removing xenobiotic anomolies be fatal and if the representaion of this is honest then why would the organism be so strong that it would mean death to remove it/them?

Personally I think it was communicated badly if it was. But then I dont agree with how you have interpreted it but lets say your right Perhaps a few words at the beginning would help Something along the lines of "Has progress and its inventions intertwined with our very being?"

However Galen has said

It's just a surreal 2 minute film. I think you are trying to read to much into it. What was I trying to say? I wasnt trying to say anything except create a mood and an action with a thin narrative structure.

--------------------------------------------------

SO at best a thin narrative structure. And we have to assume he knows what he means?

The filmmaker has said

----------------------------------------------------------

It was by no means supposed to be funny. Again i think you might be trying to hard to find something that isnt there. Trying thinking of it as a painting or a picture that just happens to be moving.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Nick If your laughing then perhaps you missed the point too.

Edited by Mark Williams

simple explanation:

I have now realized I was mistaken, I was reading your post thinking it was the film makers ... I see now I have quoted you and not him.

Bit sloppy of me - I apologize ....

Your response I'm a bit tired to read into (I had chemo today, perhaps I should keep off posting until the sedative wears out!)

I inferred that I probably missed the point in my 'send me to normal camp' and 'found something hanging out of my brain the other day' comments - so yep you're correct

simple explanation:

I have now realized I was mistaken, I was reading your post thinking it was the film makers ... I see now I have quoted you and not him.

Bit sloppy of me - I apologize ....

Your response I'm a bit tired to read into (I had chemo today, perhaps I should keep off posting until the sedative wears out!)

I inferred that I probably missed the point in my 'send me to normal camp' and 'found something hanging out of my brain the other day' comments - so yep you're correct

Nick no need for apologies and keep posting! I can see why you found it funny! Get well soon OK! :)

Why would removing xenobiotic anomolies be fatal and if the representaion of this is honest then why would the organism be so strong that it would mean death to remove it/them?

I was joking...I have a moral opposition to "smiley faces," so it might have been hard to detect the sarcasm, sorry...

I thought it was a great two minute film. The string was cool because at first I thought it was snot. But then when I notice how much there was it had to be string. Then when he cut it I was like, "Ok, go to the doctor dude." But when he tied to the door I laughed, and here is why:

I thought the film was hilarious because that couldn't ever happen in real life. I also thought it was well done because I didn't pay attention to anything else. I never looked away or tried to analyze it or what ever.

I think there are a few other people that would agree with me, and most of them probably watch Happy Tree Friends. Not trying to label your work, but after looking through the posts for a minute I thought... That's like a human version on happy tree friends- That's great.

Happy shooting.