Tripods for 16mm cameras (k3)??

adam schutzman

Hey all...

I had a question...im borrowing a krasnogorsk-3 from a friend and was curious if its possible to use a standard still photography camera tripod for it? or does one need to buy a special tripod for 16mm cameras? i saw that the screw in part on the bottom of the k3 looks a bit bigger than the standard still photography size...and also, if anyone has any other good DIY ideas for keeping a 16mm camera steady without having a special tripod, let me know. thank you!!

~adam

Edited by adam schutzman

• Premium Member
Hey all...

I had a question...im borrowing a krasnogorsk-3 from a friend and was curious if its possible to use a standard still photography camera tripod for it? or does one need to buy a special tripod for 16mm cameras? i saw that the screw in part on the bottom of the k3 looks a bit bigger than the standard still photography size...and also, if anyone has any other good DIY ideas for keeping a 16mm camera steady without having a special tripod, let me know. thank you!!

~adam

You could use a tripod meant for still photography, as long as it's a fairly heavy one intended for medium format or 4x5. I'm not sure why you would want to, though. Photography tripods aren't made so you can move on all axes simultaneous and in a smooth controllable way so doing anything except locking the camera off is a pretty bad idea.

The standard tripod thread socket for American cameras is 1/4"-20. There are cameras, especially heavy ones that use a larger tripod thread: 3/8"-16. They make an adapter to fit cameras with a 3/8"-16 thread to 1/4"-20. It's a threaded sleeve that screws into the tripod socket on the camera.

The standard tripod thread socket for American cameras is 1/4"-20. There are cameras, especially heavy ones that use a larger tripod thread: 3/8"-16. They make an adapter to fit cameras with a 3/8"-16 thread to 1/4"-20. It's a threaded sleeve that screws into the tripod socket on the camera.

True. However the 3/8"-16 threads in the bottom of a K-3 are very shallow and I suspect that one of these tripod thread adapter sleeves will not screw all the way in, and protrude.

• Premium Member
True. However the 3/8"-16 threads in the bottom of a K-3 are very shallow and I suspect that one of these tripod thread adapter sleeves will not screw all the way in, and protrude.

No, they work fine. I've used 2 different ones and they worked with no major issues. They can be ordered at B&H Camera online or a good camera shop in your town.