On-camera light?

Michael J. Murphy

Since I've started videography, I've noticed that the Z1 doesn't have the best lux rating and 18dB of gain is unacceptable in most applications. I've looked into different types of lights, but I'm not sure which ones are compatible and can mount on the camera. Can I have some opinions on what kind of on-camera light to look into? I'll be using it mostly for weddings, so I don't want the light to be distracting to the bride and groom. My budget is about $400.

Thanks!

Michael

Having an on camera light blasting at the bride and groom will be very unflatering for the bride and groom. It will make the camera and the audience see a much flatter uglier picture than is actually there. I would recomend buying some soft lights and aiming them at the bride and groom from an angle. Make it light the entire area so it is less noticed. This will actually make the bride and groom look better for everybody.

Actually, Zamir, that was my initial idea. However, not all venues are large. One from two days ago was in a small church with only two feel of space between the edge of the pews and the wall. Of course, that wouldn't allow much room for a lighting stand. Also, some churches (though I haven't come across one yet) have restrictions on auxiliary lighting, even if the church lighting is horrible. So, here's another idea to put on the table: does a camera-mountable soft-box exist?

Michael

LitePanels makes Spot and Flood versions.

Can anyone recommend one over the other? Seems like the Spot would be the way to go since it could always be diffused and spread later. I've also heard that even the Flood is too "spotty" though.

LitePanels makes Spot and Flood versions.

Can anyone recommend one over the other? Seems like the Spot would be the way to go since it could always be diffused and spread later. I've also heard that even the Flood is too "spotty" though.

Tim-

I've looked at the LitePanels, but for my budget, they are incredibly expensive. I've got a budget of about $400...

• 2 weeks later...

I've used a Frezzi Light with dimmer for years and I've been very happy with it. I do use it for weddings/ interviews, etc. and the dimmer feature is very important. I own one without the feature that I purchased originally and regret not having the dimmer on that one as well. It has survived 9 years in the florida keys with much outdoor use...no signs of wear.

Best, Craig