Dirt in film gate?

Erik Vilhelm

I found this cement-like stuff (see picture below) in the upper part of the film gate of my Bolex H16. It doesn't seem to belong there - is it dirt?

It's very hard, and I'm afraid trying to remove it might make it sharper and more likely of scratching the film. As it is now it's not touching the film, but very close to...

The picture is maybe not too clear...

post-10389-1178727573_thumb.jpg

• Premium Member
I found this cement-like stuff (see picture below) in the upper part of the film gate of my Bolex H16. It doesn't seem to belong there - is it dirt?

It's very hard, and I'm afraid trying to remove it might make it sharper and more likely of scratching the film. As it is now it's not touching the film, but very close to...

The picture is maybe not too clear...

post-10389-1178727573_thumb.jpg

The photo isn't great but it looks like a repair. It looks like it's taking the place of a piece of broken off gate, not covering a piece that is present.

• Premium Member

It's a light-blocking mastic compound. Sometimes there is too much of a gap between the aperture-plate section and the camera shell. In order to insure that a light leak doesn't occur, this pliable black compound, rather like roofing compound, is pressed into the gap. It is not supposed to dry out, but, over time it sure does. It's also supposed to be smoothed flat.

Obviously, the original technician smoked the wrong cigarettes...

I think it was called 'mastic' - a type of gum - I use photocopier toner mixed with PVA as a replacement, mix it up and use it with syringes with ophthalmic tips - yeehaw!

Its the same stuff they use all around the body and mechanism plate ding dong - as it happens I'm re-doing mine right now :ph34r:

hmmm - though there is no reason to have it where it is in your pic ... Nearby yes, but not right there...

Me thinks its been opened at least once for some reason.

Edited by Nick Mulder

Ok, so maybe it's a good idea to smoothen it flat?

Better be careful where the dust goes though!

maybe it could be an idea but to see for sure load some scrap film and see if it touches it - if not then its fine ...

Dust Shmust ! ;)

Ok, so maybe it's a good idea to smoothen it flat?

Better be careful where the dust goes though!

If you think it's coming close to touching the film, then you should surely smooth it out with some fine sandpaper or something. Should only take an effortless couple of minutes to achieve.

• 2 weeks later...