Nizo Ultrawide III Lens

Gencer Hassan

The lens you're talking about is called an 'Animorphic Lens'. This ultrawide lens just gives the effect of bieng pushed further from the subject (i.e. fitting more in). It doesn't actually change the aspect ratio. :)

The lens you're talking about is called an 'Animorphic Lens'. This ultrawide lens just gives the effect of bieng pushed further from the subject (i.e. fitting more in). It doesn't actually change the aspect ratio. :)

I've never heard of an "animorphic" lens. An anamorphic lens does squeeze the image horizontally to fit more in horizontally. Sorry, I don't know anything about the specific lens you asked about.

---george

The Nizo Ultrawide III is the same as SCHNEIDER KREUZNACH Ultra Wide Lens Aspheric III (UWL III).

It is a Wide angle adapter that gives you -9.5 dioptries. It nearly halfs the effective focus length. Since it is a diopter your camera-lens needs macro-option to work with the adapter.

It is NOT an anamorphic lens and does not change the aspect ratio.

cheers, Bernhard

Ok, i didn't realise it was anamorphic. Seening as thats the case i will re-do my question.

Is the lens one of the following then ?

1.5x

1.75x

2x

or something else

At the end of the manual for the nizo 6080 it states that lens will capture up to 3 times more information.

I also found this on the following website which was quite useful.

http://lavender.fortunecity.com/lavender/569/anamorphic.html

1.5x lens = 2:1 format

1.75x lens = 2.25:1 format

2x lens = 2.66:1 format

Ok, i didn't realise it was anamorphic. Seening as thats the case i will re-do my question.

Is the lens one of the following then ?

1.5x

1.75x

2x

or something else

At the end of the manual for the nizo 6080 it states that lens will capture up to 3 times more information.

I also found this on the following website which was quite useful.

http://lavender.fortunecity.com/lavender/569/anamorphic.html

1.5x lens = 2:1 format

1.75x lens = 2.25:1 format

2x lens = 2.66:1 format

It is NOT anamorphic, it's simply a wide-angle adapter. That has nothing to do whit a wider aspect-ratio but simply wider angle of view, like using a shorter focal lenght.

If you put the thing on a 6080 you woud have on the short end of the zoom something like 3.85mm, but aspect is still 4/3

You'll have to bear with me now as i'm really new to this and have just gotten confused.

Right, am i right in assuming that an anamorphic lens will take a wide shot eg 16:9 or 2.35:1 and compress the image to fit onto a 4:3 area ?

This is the part when i get confused.

When i attach my UWL III to my 6080 and look through the view finder i can definately see more information to the left and right. This suggest to me that when its been converted to video the image will look slight squashed as its still in the orignal film format and would require stretching a little to make it look correct ? Or is it just filling in the areas of the film that the original lens doesn't get to ?

Third option i've completely missed the point.

Ok i think i've figured it out now.

Basically after messing around a bit with the lens off and on, i've come to the conclusion that what i'm getting is a more zoomed out image hence why i have to set the camera to macro, focus to infinity and use the zoom to focus the image. Which basically means that the final result is still a 4:3 image as mentioned earlier on in the post by Matthew Buick and Bernhard Zitz. Which means to capture widescreen footage i would need an anamorphice lens like a kowa ?

I think you have figured it out now, ultra wide is good if stuck in small spaces and want as much information on the film as possible as it brings in information all around and not just a horizontal squeeze. but if you are looking to change the aspect ratio then an animorphic lens should be used, ive recently brought one for my Nizo s800 but am in need of a stepdown ring, so we are both in the experimental stage of the process of using these crazy cool lenses.

best thing to do is do alot of reading on the subject, i can highly recommend American cinematographers manual. jam packed full of info, alwys a thoroughly good read, cant put mine down(well i read the seventh edition because i cant afford the latest at the mo, but great book)

hope this helps

carl spring