I got a Eclair NPR 16mm camera, but...

Hau-Jou Chiou

I got a Eclair NPR 16mm camera yestoday, but the motor is brake.

I seach a lot info from google, and ask many company which making crytal motor like TCS, bit they are all not continuted to make motor. Could anyone can give me the info to find the motor for NPR?

Hey man go to the classifieds section in the forum and look at the Alcan 24/25 post that Alain is selling for 500 bucks, that motor is for the best of teh whole bunch, I now is simple but it's small and really nice to work hand held with that camera

Best

Hi.

I've got an Eclair NPR, so good job on having a great camera!

You can check the following sources for help:

Electro Optical House

http://www.opticalelectrohouse.com/

Visual Products

http://www.visualproducts.com/

Bernie O'Doherty

http://super16inc.com/

I'd suggest you check Bernie first,

Good luck.

K.

Could I find more morden or normal viewfinder? Because when I rotate the finder and the image what I see is change!

• 2 months later...

Hi, for those who reading through this this discussion. If you are looking to do anything to your NPR...upgrade, service, modification, need accessories, the guy you want to is George Zorzoli at Optical Electro House in Burbank. The next person you want to talk to is Les Bosher in Wales. I've dealt with all others and these are the best places because they deal specifically with Eclair, George especially, and they know what they are doing in detail. No hack jobs. Les did an incredibly gorgeous S16 conversion on my npr. Call George if you are in the states or Les if you're in Britain.

From time to time motors come up on ebay. The Alcan, although very ergonomic, is not considered the best motor. George could give you a better idea of what you can get and I'm sure he has somthing. SMS Prod. in Chicago had a used Perfectone motor for sale that I used as a backup motor on a shoot. They wanted $500 for it. The TCS is great for the studio and doing precise frame rate control but it is very heavy so hand holding can be a bit arduous and painful.

Mac

Edited by Mac Zefer

Hi, for those who reading through this this discussion. If you are looking to do anything to your NPR...upgrade, service, modification, need accessories, the guy you want to is George Zorzoli at Optical Electro House in Burbank. The next person you want to talk to is Les Bosher in Wales. I've dealt with all others and these are the best places because they deal specifically with Eclair, George especially, and they know what they are doing in detail. No hack jobs. Les did an incredibly gorgeous S16 conversion on my npr. Call George if you are in the states or Les if you're in Britain.

From time to time motors come up on ebay. The Alcan, although very ergonomic, is not considered the best motor. George could give you a better idea of what you can get and I'm sure he has somthing. SMS Prod. in Chicago had a used Perfectone motor for sale that I used as a backup motor on a shoot. They wanted $500 for it. The TCS is great for the studio and doing precise frame rate control but it is very heavy so hand holding can be a bit arduous and painful.

Mac

As good as George Zorzoli is (he really is a great camera technician; he upgraded my NPR to Super 16 and did a wonderful job), Bernie O'Doherty at Super 16 Inc. is every bit as good, especially when it comes to Elair cameras. Let's not forget that Bernie was at one time a lead camera technician at Eclair prior to the company's departure from the world. He might have even worked at Aaton for a while, I can't remember offhand. I've yet to find anything that Bernie can't do to an Eclair. As much as I love my S16 NPR, I love my S16 ACL 2 even more, and Bernie was the one who did the conversion on that puppy, which also included his famous Laserbrightening that makes the viewing system roughly 1.5 to 2 stops brighter than factory original.

Anyway, the point is, both George and Bernie can help you with practically any Eclair situation. That being said, I do believe that George may keep more components on hand, such as view finders, motors, magazines, etc., whereas Bernie seems to focus more purely on customizations, repairs, overhauls, upgrades, etc. There are other places out there that carry components for the Eclair and repair and/or modify them, but I'm speaking more from personal experience so I can't really offer an objective opinion about what others out there can do. Actually, wait a minute . . . when I purchased my ACL 2 it had an AZ Spectrum video assist unit on it and some modifications were made to the electronics base of my camera to accommodate it and a portable LCD monitor, so I'd imagine that Andrew at AZ Spectrum might know a thing or two about Eclairs, as well.

Okay, enough ranting; I'm sure that the original poster, Hau-Jou, probably has a motor for his NPR by now. If not, Hau-Jou, send me a private message, I've got a spare Perfectone motor that was crystal modified by Clive Tobin that I'd be willing to sell for a good price. ;)

Edited by Scott Bullock