bleachbypass only half a roll of film???

Daniel Carruthers

I got some questions

Okay. Lets say I want to bleach bypass a particular scene, now the scene is not very long,lets say 4 minutes. Can I get the lab to bleachbypass only 4minutes of film on a 10minute roll with out bleachbypassing the rest of the footage??

or do they have to do the whole reel? I think they would have to do the whole reel, but I dont know for certain.

Also anyone know how much the canadian prices are on 400foot rolls of film. Any good places to order form vancouver.

I was thinking kodak 7229 500t. should I just call up kodak.

Thanks

No, you'll have to either split the roll, or get the whole 400' done.

Whether or not you should Bleach Bypass negative without testing first is another question...

;)

hmmm never thought of splitting the roll. that makes alot of sense.

I would love to do some tests,but knowing my luck and considering this is an indie with practicaly no budget. That wont happen.

I think post would be the best option,instead of somthing as costly as a bleachbypass. I think I'll just get a dense negative,then mess around with it later.

anyone still know about costs?

• Site Sponsor
hmmm never thought of splitting the roll. that makes alot of sense.

I would love to do some tests,but knowing my luck and considering this is an indie with practicaly no budget. That wont happen.

I think post would be the best option,instead of somthing as costly as a bleachbypass. I think I'll just get a dense negative,then mess around with it later.

anyone still know about costs?

You would have to split the roll either before you shoot or have someone decide where to split the roll at the lab. When you setup a machine for bleach bypass you are literally cutting the machine leader (which pulls the film through the processor) so it does not go through the bleach tanks. So there is no way to run a bypass on part of a roll and then "throw a switch" to not bypass the rest of the roll.

Setup for a bypass usually runs $125 to $300 and some extra charge per foot sometimes. This also depends on how much footage you have to run as setting up for a large run is more cost effective for the lab than a short piece of film.

We charge $125 to setup and an extra $0.02/foot for shorter runs and down to just the setup on longer runs as an example. Your mileage will vary from lab to lab.

-Rob-

Do it in post.

As Robert points out, the set-up cost is an additional expense (for the reasons he explained): and if you are only doing part of a roll, it rises to a big increase per foot. On his figures, $125 set-up fee spread over 4 minutes - call it 150 ft - is over 80c per foot extra. Without testing, you are risking a lot and paying a lot. With prior testing you are reducing the risk, but paying even more!

• Premium Member

You can break the film off.

I would never consider doing something like a full skip bleach without extensive testing. I just posted a bunch of stuff from a huge bleach bypass test I shot on here (over 96 different setups), and even after that I still would like to do a few more tests (though I would be okay without them).

Kevin Zanit