Reversal film

Oscar Godfrey

Hello,

I have about 20 mins of reversal 16mm. I was just wondering if having reversal film telecined is ever a problem? I know it shouldn't be but just because negative is the standard maybe some places don't do it. I've only ever edited tradtionally but i want to try it on the computer because it would make arranging the sound a lot easier.

The only thing i have ever had telecined is some old 8mm kodachrome 40 which is reversal. I have read something about having negatives prepared for telecine, I don't know what this means which is why i thought reversal might cause problems.

Could someone de-confuse me please?

Thank you.

Hello,

I have about 20 mins of reversal 16mm. I was just wondering if having reversal film telecined is ever a problem? I know it shouldn't be but just because negative is the standard maybe some places don't do it. I've only ever edited tradtionally but i want to try it on the computer because it would make arranging the sound a lot easier.

The only thing i have ever had telecined is some old 8mm kodachrome 40 which is reversal. I have read something about having negatives prepared for telecine, I don't know what this means which is why i thought reversal might cause problems.

Could someone de-confuse me please?

Thank you.

I do not think reversal is a problem for transfering, in fact it might even be easier to transfer. Im pretty sure all places scan reversal, so that shouldnt be a problem.

However, as you might already know, its easier to fix a poorly exposed negative film than reversal. Negative my nature has simply more latitude. With reversal, its basically what you see is what you get, a negative image can be manipulated more.

Reversal film can also be ''prepared'' for telecine through various techniques such as ultra sound or ''wetgate'', so I wouldnt worry.

The reason that people are more careful with negatives is because theyre more volounarably, theyre more easily scratched. Also

dirt is always a problem, and since negative films are inverted dust is more visable and distracting. This is because dust is white when

the image is inverted, and its a lot more visable than black dust you see on reversal.

/Jan

• Site Sponsor
I do not think reversal is a problem for transfering, in fact it might even be easier to transfer. Im pretty sure all places scan reversal, so that shouldnt be a problem.

However, as you might already know, its easier to fix a poorly exposed negative film than reversal. Negative my nature has simply more latitude. With reversal, its basically what you see is what you get, a negative image can be manipulated more.

Reversal film can also be ''prepared'' for telecine through various techniques such as ultra sound or ''wetgate'', so I wouldnt worry.

The reason that people are more careful with negatives is because theyre more volounarably, theyre more easily scratched. Also

dirt is always a problem, and since negative films are inverted dust is more visable and distracting. This is because dust is white when

the image is inverted, and its a lot more visable than black dust you see on reversal.

/Jan

Any real modern telecine (SD, HD) and certainly 2K 4K etc scanners have no problem running reversal it is no easier or harder than negative.

-Rob-