Applying a net

How to apply a net to the rear element of a lens. Note. It really takes two people.

1. Place the lens on a flat surface with the rear element facing up. Make sure it is clean!

2. Take a small amount of snot tape and roll it into a thin sting.

3. Wrap the snot tape around the rear element of the lens. Most video lenses have a rear element that protrudes. I like to use two sided scotch tape.

4. Using your fingers evenly stretch the net. The more your stretch it the less of a diffused effect you will have. Some nets stretch more then others.

5. Line up the net over the rear elements. Most nets have an obvious pattern to the weave. Like a screen. I like to set the weave so it goes diagonally through the frame rather then horizontally. This creates angled highlights.

6. Carefully move the net down onto the lens. The second person now pushes the edges down and sticks it to the snot tape.

7. Cut off the excess net.

8. Blow away all excess fibers from the net. I always fear they will end up in the camera.

9. Check to make sure the net has no runs across the frame.

10. Sometimes I?ll actually place a small rubber band around the whole set up. If it is going to be on for a while. I worry that a stretched net might start to pull up.

That said there is a small deice called an ?I-Ring? that slides onto the rear element and holds your nets securely in place. I own six of them and they are a great way to quickly put nets on multiple cameras. At $25 they are not cheap and they only fit about 75% of the lenses. If there is a lens I use often that the I-Ring doesn?t fit I?ll try to find thin plastic tubes that fit the rear element and don?t screw up the camera. Some 35mm still film canisters fit nicely. For some reason I like the slide on slide off method for video shoots. On film shoots I usually just let the AC solve the problem and they usually use snot tape.

I´m not familiar with the "snot-tape" though I can imagine what it looks like ;)

When I was a focus puller I used the rubber cement, for pictures in an album.

If you are handy you don´t even need a elastic band, just slide the netting over the lens and hold it your hand in place while applying the rubber cement. It dries quickly, you can press it from the tube through the net on to the black metal and it removes without a trace.

Don´t ever use nail varnish, that´s old style and the rental company will really curse you and maybe let you pay for repair.

Rob van Gelder

I have made my own rings using rubber washers. You have to buy several washers to find one that is the right fit for your camera. The other trick is that it needs to be fairly thin yet rigid.

Take the washer and put it on the end of a dowel rod, or end of a hammer handle which is clamped in a vise. Put a thin bead of super glue around the washer. Stretch the net/nylon/silk stocking out over this rig until you get the desired stretch and put on washer. Use a rubber band to hold fast until glue dries. May take a couple of attempts to get it right. Once everything is dry, just trim off the extra. This ring drops in behind the lens very easily. I have made several with different styles and colors of net for different looks.

Good luck.

Brian

Guest Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

Wow, I never knew about this net thingy. Are there examples of pictures on the net that were taken using a net?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Stretching the net more helps reduce the effect but you also have to find the right pantyhose that is sheer enough. Even the weave pattern affects the type of flares you get. But the main thing is that the pantyhose is incredibly thin and sheer to begin with.

However, shooting through nets is what creates those flares, so if you don't like the flares, you should try a different type of diffusion or avoid lens flares.

8 or 10 Denier is the best Ultra sheer for any brand, I've found (the same as Christian Dior and Fogel ultra sheer). Just in case you alpha male camera types are a little shy in the ladies clothes shop between the bras and panties, Fstop's given you the Denier on the plate- no weird looks and ball ache so long as you are decisive with my suggestions! :P

*(I hope I haven't made any "angry ladies" giving away the trade secrets)* ;)

Thanks everyone.... I found a place on the internet that sells Christian Dior hose, and many other vintage stockings. Here's the site:

www.stockingshowcase.com

The cool thing is, I got an $18 pair of hose for $4! Because they have a hard time selling the short lengths. Also, he has some with runners in them that they can't sell that he threw in... which is fine with me because all I need is about a 3x3" piece to make a net. They don't carry Fogal though.

Thanks,

Jason