28 Weeks Later...

Hi,

Saw this film today out of curiosity and interest due to the fact it was shot on Super 16.

Some of you may know that I don't enjoy violence, so my point of view is going to be perhaps more negative on that front, also I often can't watch violence - I am 6' 4 tall and have low blood pressure, so I have a tendency of fainting, often in movies.

However I managed to make it all through this film okay.

The super16, did look very impressive - due to a packed audience I was forced to sit down the front and though I was certainly aware of the grain, it was never uncomfortably obtrusive. It wasn't always consistent though - it seemed the filmmakers were happy to push it in times of crisis and chaos, so it simply became another layer to that.

The film reused the fast shutter speed in the time of the infected's presence previously used on the DV of the original film, this works well enough but at times since it was present with larger grain and considerable camera movement/swish panning it felt a little overwhelming.

The excessive panning and frenetic camera I felt detracted from the film somewhat - there were times when you simply couldn't follow what was going on, and considering the presence of the grain there was a little to much 'grit' there. The original 28 Days Later was very conservative with camera movement - careful not to 'over stimulate' with the presence of DV. In the end its going to surmount to personal taste whether this works for you or not.

For me personally, it also added to the fact that a lot of these films lack suspense which would often be created by the presence of wide shots, which this film certainly lacked. Seemingly you need a wide to show, the geographical danger the characters are in. As a considerable part of this film is played out with two kids it should have had people on the edge of their seats but that action and violence is so random and unorchestrated you really experience mild shock.

Also a problem with modern horror films is that characters are so dispensable, (they are constantly trying to push the body count up) like in this, that you don't really identify with characters, so the element of danger never becomes truly threatening - and you are often expecting such characters to be 'done away with.'

For much of the film I felt it was superior horror film, then came the typical horror cliche of the 'post-ending ending' which shows 'horror goes on' - that really spoiled it.

But anyway if you can stomach such films, and it is very violent - take a look.

• Premium Member

I went to see this film mainly because I love post-apocalyptic films, but this was a serious letdown. I think the script has big problems as the most interesting character (played by Robert Carlyle) 'dissappears' very early and with him the interesting conflict with his children. After that it becomes just a stupid action/horror film that is not even well done (it's completely overdirected for one, with disposeable characters and really silly plotline). I think non of the dramatic scenes work (especially between the father and the kids at the beginning), the writing and especially the acting are just too weak.

But the one thing I was really impressed with was the athletic ability of the characters. They made it in less than four minutes from Canary Wharf to the Greenwich foot tunnel. Ben Johnson take note!

• Premium Member
But the one thing I was really impressed with was the athletic ability of the characters. They made it in less than four minutes from Canary Wharf to the Greenwich foot tunnel. Ben Johnson take note!

Too funny. Beyond that - sad to hear. I was also looking forward to seeing this one. Might have to give it a look anyway.

The F/X Channel was airing "28 Days Later" as part of their cross-promotion here in the States. I still really like it despite how bad the DV looks.

god don't you people smoke weed? i thought it was great for what it was...a zombie genre exploitation film with a really obvious political message.

jk :ph34r:

The original wasn't 'a zombie genre exploitation film' or what ever that is, it was far more interesting than that. And what was the political message?.... that escaped me.

• Premium Member
The original wasn't 'a zombie genre exploitation film' or what ever that is, it was far more interesting than that. And what was the political message?.... that escaped me.

In terms of the second one, at least, there has been talk that it has Iraq war-overtones. But then again, you can say that about most films made today as it happens to be in the front of a lot of people's minds.

I agree the plot was weak, and I dislike gore overall. I thought it was well shot and I love the whole empty-city. The problem with an empty city and mindless "zombies" is that it happens not to be too scary. My favorite character was the sniper, but I can't even recall his name.

Also, in terms of deeper messages, I found myself thinking alot of the HIV/AIDS virus, as it spreads the same way (minus the saliva i think?). But in the end I feel it was a well shot film, with a good look to it, but not really worth the price of my admission (which was also absurd)

Last time I checked you could download for free the ASC mag that featured 28 weeks later at the ASC website. One thing I loved about 28 weeks was the opening scene where the light was completely motivated by candle light. It was very dim and in strong contrast to the blinding light that comes through the walls when the zombies attack. I actually had to close my eyes until they adjusted.

• Premium Member
Last time I checked you could download for free the ASC mag that featured 28 weeks later at the ASC website. One thing I loved about 28 weeks was the opening scene where the light was completely motivated by candle light. It was very dim and in strong contrast to the blinding light that comes through the walls when the zombies attack. I actually had to close my eyes until they adjusted.

That opening shot really thrilled me as well!

In terms of the second one, at least, there has been talk that it has Iraq war-overtones. But then again, you can say that about most films made today as it happens to be in the front of a lot of people's minds.

Yea I felt that too, but I didn't feel the film was trying to tell me anything about it.

In fact its things like that gives me the impression that someone along the line had high hopes for this film - it does have some interesting little stories and scenes which are never properly explored, which raises the film above simply being the typical dire horror films we see constantly in the cinemas.

Perhaps one of the scriptwriters had good intentions, if you like.

The little plots or 'plot-ets' that I thought were nice but not entirely successful where:

*The fathers guilt leading him to his punishment.

*The kids motorcycle trip round the empty city (though it was very over-edited)

*The boy's kinship with the sniper.

*All the layers of military security being undermined by a janitor pass.

*The fact that the infected father stalks his children

*The way the girl hides her brother's appearance to the helicopter pilot.

Edited by Andy_Alderslade

• 7 months later...

Watched this last night. The film opened fantasticly well. Many thoughts raced through my mind for the possibilities and where it would go. However it wasnt to be. The script was awful. But the music was good and so were the special effects. Ultimately though a film with a nice budget and real heart let down by a bad story. The virus won not only on the film. The british film council helped or did fund it. I can only wonder at what made them like this script?

EDIT

The film was made using 35mm 16mm and even HD cameras.

Edited by Mark Collins

• 4 weeks later...

i myself have been an avid danny boyle fan since i first saw shallow grave in 2005

i had huge expectations when i walked in the cinema, however like most i was let down by the quality of the script and the weakness of the acting

having said that there were some very nice shots

the best thing about the film was undoubtly the soundtrack, if you havent already checked it out then do not hesistate to do so