how to change Aaton LTR from 25 to 24fps?

Scott W Larson

Can anyone tell me how to switch between 24 and 25fps on an Aaton LTR? According to the manual, it says "set the desired 24/25 fps switch to desired speed". I may be dense, but I cant for the life of me find that switch.

• Premium Member

Nathan can probably give you the best answer on this, but alot of it depends on what LTR you have. They kind of moved the switches around on them during the production run. Mine is one of the last ones made, so it has the switch in the same place as the early LTR 54 cameras.

If you could give the serial number of your camera, at least the serial number range, that might help, and a picture of the side of the camera that has the motor, and the back side of the camera without the magazine.

With mine, serial number range C960's, there is a switch on the back of my camera and a selector that needs to be set to the white dot.

Again, if you could give Nathan the serial number range, he could probably tell you, and if he couldn't, I may be able to help because I have exploded view diagrams of all three versions of the Aaton LTR, the 7a, 7b and 7c(which mine is).

-Tim

On my AATON (an older LTR7 modell) the switch is on the body under the magazine troat, where you put your shoulder. There you switch between 24-25. In order that the camera is running either 24 or 25 you must turn the very small wheel (you can not grab it but must pressure your finger against it and then turn) on the right side of the camera until you see a white dot and not the other speeds like 32 ecc.

daniel

• Premium Member

Looking at the LTR manual that you can download off the manuals page of this web forum, I realize that many of the photos are missing with the descriptions. I also realize that the download manual is describing the way to set the crystal speed on the later LTR cameras like the one I have and it sounds like the one Daniel has. Here is the original manual page where it talks about setting the crystal speed on the earlier LTR cameras, the ones without the switch on the back.

LTRCrystal.jpg

As I mentioned, my camera is one of the last LTR's made (an LTR 7c) and the crystal speed on mine is set like Daniel's. I do not have to go in and move any screw on the motor ring as shown above. On mine, I just need to make sure the white dot shows on the dial on the back side of the camera, and then I switch the little switch on the back side of the camera either to the 24 setting or the 25 setting.

LTR7cSwitch.jpg

Scott, if neither of these shows the LTR camera that you have, if you could take a picture of the left side of the camera (motor side) and the back side of the camera without the magazine attached, I can go through the manuals I have and see if I can find the LTR that you have, and then maybe I can give you more information.

-Tim

• 2 years later...

This is an old post but I'll do my civic duty and add to the internet knowledge sphere. I just learned how to locate the elusive Aaton LTR 24/25fps switch. Here it goes:

1.) Locate the motor on the body of the camera. This is the large cylindrical lump on the left side of the camera body if holding it as when shooting.

2.) Notice the ring around the motor that is held in place by a few allen socket screws. This is a removable plate of which the removal will not affect the motor housing--unscrew the allen screws and take off the plate.

3.) Beneath the plate is padded foam. Remove this gently with a toothpick or something.

4.) You will now see somewhere along the inner ring two regions labeled 24 and 25. One of these regions will have a set screw. You can remove this set screw and place it in your desired region. I am FAIRLY certain the presence of the screw means it is set to the labeled FPS rather than the absence. I've only performed this operation once to check that my set screw was in 24.

5.) Replace all parts.

6.) Now make sure the frame dial on the back of the camera is set to the dot.

I don't know why this feature is so hidden. Perhaps it is to secure a difference between "American" and "European" cameras.