arriflex BL framerate

How do I change the framerate of an Arri BL? The only controls visible controls are 24/25/30 on the rear panel.

The 16Bl was designed for "blimp less" sync sound shooting at 24fps or 25fps. It was also used in TV newsgathering with a mag stripe-recording module. If you wanted to shoot off sync speed, you simply picked up your companion 16S / 16ST and shot your under or over cranked footage with that camera.

Why use a more expensive blimped sync camera on mos shots? :lol:

• Premium Member
The 16Bl was designed for "blimp less" sync sound shooting at 24fps or 25fps. It was also used in TV newsgathering with a mag stripe-recording module. If you wanted to shoot off sync speed, you simply picked up your companion 16S / 16ST and shot your under or over cranked footage with that camera.

Why use a more expensive blimped sync camera on mos shots? :lol:

I've never owned one so I haven't explored the options but perhaps the motor can be changed out for one with more speed choices?

I've never owned one so I haven't explored the options but perhaps the motor can be changed out for one with more speed choices?

If you don't own one, then you'd be better off going with an SR or Aaton. I know there were some motor / electronic modification kits for the 16BL after Arri stopped making the camera. Check with Clive Tobin or Bernie O'Doherty as they may have the right answer. Oh, Tim Carroll may have info on the BL also.

I just checked an old catalog, and indeed, Arri had a variable speed control for the 12vdc Universal motor. It adjusts and controls the camera speed from 10 to 40 fps. Here's what they had to say about the motor:

12VDC transistorized, induction governor controlled motor, forward operation (3000 rpm). The Universal motor will also operate in crystal mode with suitable external system (Crystalock and Jensen) and variable speeds with variable speed controller.

Arri made a Crystal motor for the BL for "precision cord-less sync". Specify 24 or 25 fps operation. Also has additional crystal speeds of 6, 12, 24 and 48 fps. With an additional variable speed control for the crystal motor you can get speeds of 5 - 75 fps. It also stopped the shutter in the closed position like all modern cameras.

Then there was a controller called the Crystalok Crystal Sync Accessory. It attaches to your camera equipped with universal motor in seconds. Shoot 24 fps in crystal sync or variable speeds from 14 to 48 fps.

The 2 BL motors from Arri were built in and not easily changed out like the motors on the 16S or 16M

I've seen some BLs on eBay with these attachments, but I'm not aware of anyone making similar products today. Make sure you find out what motor is in the camera if and when you buy one!

Charlie

I'm sorry I should have been more specific, I meant the Arriflex 35 BL. I looked at the specs in Jon Fauer's Arriflex 35 book and it was listed as capable of running 5-100 fps. Does it need a special motor and mag rollers for it to run in slow motion? Thanks for your help guys, this forum is a great help.