Processing 3 year old film

This weekend a buddy and I were "employed" to film a colleague of ours wedding. We had access to a super-16 so what the hell why not, plus he was even providing the film. great, awesome! Well the day rolls around and we grab the film from him. Well I guess I cant complain to much since I wasn't paying for the film, but he hands us a recan from a previous project....from 3 years ago. With him being a responsible filmmaker, I know it was kept in the freezer, but I would like to know if their is anything different I should get them to do during processing. Another colleague of mine suggested we overexpose by half a stop but he wasnt really positive if the aging would be that big of a difference. Currently the film is overexposed by a full stop with anticipation of pulling it 1 stop. Any suggestions?

Oh yeah, film was Kodak 7278 200t

-James Paonessa

• Site Sponsor
This weekend a buddy and I were "employed" to film a colleague of ours wedding. We had access to a super-16 so what the hell why not, plus he was even providing the film. great, awesome! Well the day rolls around and we grab the film from him. Well I guess I cant complain to much since I wasn't paying for the film, but he hands us a recan from a previous project....from 3 years ago. With him being a responsible filmmaker, I know it was kept in the freezer, but I would like to know if their is anything different I should get them to do during processing. Another colleague of mine suggested we overexpose by half a stop but he wasnt really positive if the aging would be that big of a difference. Currently the film is overexposed by a full stop with anticipation of pulling it 1 stop. Any suggestions?

Oh yeah, film was Kodak 7278 200t

-James Paonessa

Have your lab run a short "clip" test and put it on the densitometer to get an idea of base fog / aging, etc. and then make a judgment on the pull.

-Rob-

I shot some 7274 (200t, color)a few weeks ago, that was likewise about 3 years old (freezer stored) and didn't encounter any problems at all. Especially if your going to telecine this film, you have lots of room to correct small drifts in contrast and density. I would overexpose normaly (a stop or less). Being black and white you shouldn't have much problems with it. Either way, its his film and his wedding, so shrug and enjoy the free film!

(by the way, you say 7278 is 200t, but I think its 160t, 200d B/W reversal...unless you meant 7274 which is 200t color)

I've had near on 30 year old non refrigerated (but not left in the sun for instance) Kodak B+W film wedge tested and it passed with flying colors (guffaw guffaw) - that was plus-x tho, a bit slower - but still 30 years old (rusty tins etc...)

I agree - don't bother 'pulling' the film in processing. Pulling would reduce contrast. Just overexpose as you normally would with negative film and process normally. This is of course assuming that it really is negative film that you are exposing! Can you confirm that it is in fact 200T and not 200D B&W reversal?

• Site Sponsor
I agree - don't bother 'pulling' the film in processing. Pulling would reduce contrast. Just overexpose as you normally would with negative film and process normally. This is of course assuming that it really is negative film that you are exposing! Can you confirm that it is in fact 200T and not 200D B&W reversal?

The age and type of stock should survive a mere 3 years in the fridge I would think it would be fine too.

-Rob-

I was camera/DP on a 35mm short where the director bought the film off ebay. The seller from LA said he got the film from some producer's garage. ;) We did overexpose half a stop. It was the old EXR 500 speed

The image alternated from pretty decent and soft, to suddenly grainy, especially in the shadow areas. Bad age fog all around. The director spent $900 on that transfer! Was it worth it? No. I'm never buying film off ebay myself. Those professional short end sellers ore OK.

If it's three years old, even with ideal storage conditions, it's still going to be subjected to a lot of gamma radiation (unavoidable), which will raise the base fog and increase graininess. 200T should be okay, but not fabulous. I would overexpose a full stop - half a stop for the aging and half a stop as per normal overexposure protection. And I also agree - pulling is a bad idea - you're overexposing to counteract the effects of the aging. If you don't fully develop, it defeats the purpose, unless you were intending to pull for aesthetic reasons (in which case I'd advise overexposing two stops and pulling one - but DEFINITELY test that first).