Atlanta Filmmaker needs DP for SFX action short film (HD, squibs, etc.)

Guest Derek Johnson

Guest Derek Johnson

Hello all.

As a Director, my biggest influences are Rodriguez, Raimi, Tarantino, and Singleton.

I'm shooting another low budget action based short for 5 days in Dahlanega, GA... and THIS TIME... instead of it being one more no-budget backyard exercise... I'm going for broke (literally!).

Assisting me on this shoot will be the guys who did SFX on Desperado (Bob Shelly's Special Effects Inc.) Per the script, they are set to blow some bark from trees, explode squibs on actors, shoot bullet trails, toss rubber glass... and more! It's gonna be a blast (no pun inteneded!) Also...

1) I'm shooting HD (Panasonic HVX200)

2) I have plenty of crew (helpers)

3) I have a documentary crew to film the entire production

4) I have a really good cast rehearsing their arses off.

5) And most importantly... I have a great script that we all believe in.

All we need is you.

I am making a vow to the person who will eventually take the position of DP. I don't have the money you deserve. But if join the crew, you won't regret it. I am very passionate about this film. I will finish it and it will see the light of day. I have big plans for this film.

Interested?

Please contact me at derek@octanemp.com

thank you for reading.

Guest Derek Johnson

Almost forgot the details

WHAT: 5 day HD shoot (Pannasonic AG-HVX200P DVCPROHD Format 720p/24f)

WHEN: June 27- July 1 2007 (Wed-Sun)

WHERE: A VERY remote and rustic cabin in Dahlanega, GA

WHO: Derek Johnson, Director for Octane Movie Project (www.octanemp.com)

HOW: By any means possible!!

thanks again.

I'd love to help you, as I'm staying in Atlanta for a couple of months. Unfortunately I have a family commitment up the East Coast right during those dates.

However, just a general question which I'm certain will be informative for other potential candidates, too: is there a budget for equipment? Specifically, the first things I'd want to get would be lights, grips, and lenses (w/adapter). Not necessarily an 18-wheeler full or anything, but maybe a carload's worth would be enough to "do the job right".

Edited by Jon Kukla

Guest Derek Johnson
I'd love to help you, as I'm staying in Atlanta for a couple of months. Unfortunately I have a family commitment up the East Coast right during those dates.

However, just a general question which I'm certain will be informative for other potential candidates, too: is there a budget for equipment? Specifically, the first things I'd want to get would be lights, grips, and lenses (w/adapter). Not necessarily an 18-wheeler full or anything, but maybe a carload's worth would be enough to "do the job right".

Thanks for your response, John.

We're on the same page. I'm totally into low budget filmmaking, but what's the point of having an experienced DP, and then not give him the tools he needs?

Sorry for any misunderstandings. We do have a small budget for equipment. There are two car scenes, a few interior shots in the cabin, but almost 75% of the movie are daytime exteriors.

• Premium Member

I wouldn't try to shoot a Hollywood blockbuster.

But that's rather the point of doing this sort of thing.

Personally I'll do anything that offers a decent opportunity to make nice, appropriate images - which is harder to come by than you might imagine.

Phil

Guest Derek Johnson
Best of luck. I'd've loved to have come down, but I got to the post too late :(

Thanks Adrian.

Matthew, a local DP in Atlanta named Randy Stewart came recommended by a gaffer friend of mine. He's been at it for a year since working as a grip/gaffer. He also came with a ton of lighting, rigging, and grip gear of his own saving us a bunch in rental fees. It was a easy decision.

http://imdb.com/name/nm1196552/

Thanks all who responded.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks Adrian.

Matthew, a local DP in Atlanta named Randy Stewart came recommended by a gaffer friend of mine. He's been at it for a year since working as a grip/gaffer. He also came with a ton of lighting, rigging, and grip gear of his own saving us a bunch in rental fees. It was a easy decision.

http://imdb.com/name/nm1196552/

Thanks all who responded.

I am in Athens and if I am free those days I would love to pop in to see you guys in action.