Does this sound too good to be true?

Arvin Farahmand

Am I the only one who thinks there is something very amiss about this:

(eBay Item number 330133845765)

http://cgi.ebay.com/AATON-LTR-7-16mm-CAMER...1QQcmdZViewItem

I can't imagine a working LTR7 plus film and everything else he is throwing in there for that price. Something tells me this "fell off the back of a truck" <wink> <wink>.

Edited by Arvin Farahmand

Am I the only one who thinks there is something very amiss about this:

(eBay Item number 330133845765)

http://cgi.ebay.com/AATON-LTR-7-16mm-CAMER...1QQcmdZViewItem

I can't imagine a working LTR7 plus film and everything else he is throwing in there for that price. Something tells me this "fell off the back of a truck" <wink> <wink>.

It still has 4 days and x hours left..... He listed it low to get people to bid on it. It will surely go much, much, much higher before the ending stops.

• Premium Member

I don't think it fell off the back of a truck, and I agree that on the surface it seems like a fantastic deal, but let's look at the package a little bit closer.

It is an LTR 7 in regular 16. Never heard of a "german" motor on an LTR that he is claiming, the motor looks exactly like the one on my LTR. That camera is going to be very expensive to convert to Super 16 if done properly. And it's service history is nonexistent. An overhaul for the camera and mags would run about $2200 at Abel, possibly cheaper somewhere else.

The lens he is selling with the package is a so-so Angenieux, nothing special in my opinion and not a lens I'd want to own.

As far as the PortaDat, I don't really know much about that. I used to own a PortaDisc miniDisc recorder by HHB and it was a really good unit, so I would assume the PortaDat would be nice too, if it has been cared for properly. Otherwise it could be dodgy.

The mic, the tripods, and the light-meter are nothing to write home about. And the film stock would be very questionable.

And it will probably go up to $2000 to $3000 before the auction is over, maybe more. So it may turn out to be not "a fantastic deal" after all.

-Tim

It still seems to low for a starting price. Wait and see I guess.

My experience on Ebay is that with most items, the lower the starting price, the more people will bid and watch it, resulting in a higher price at the end. I don't see anything wrong with a low starting price - it tells nothing about the end price and certainly nothing about the item's origin. It is a risk for the seller of course (unless he asks a friend to bid on the item to raise the price, which would not be allowed).

Mirko

That's true. I've watched and sold things on ebay. You have a better chance at selling something starting at $1.00 than starting higher or with 'buy it now' only. If you have an item that is starting at $1.00 and another exact item with 'buy it now' at $25.00, the item that started at $1.00 will be more likely to sell and usually for a higher price than the one listed with 'buy it now'.