firing a crew member.

I am two weeks into a 10 week shoot. One of my guys had to bow out after one week due to personal reasons. He found a guy to replace himself, not my usual fare but we are far out of town. The show has three more weeks out of town and then we come back to LA and finish in LA. The replacement is on day two and is not getting into the "groove" with me nor the other guys. He also has issues of not really knowing his duties as a grip. I have explained what I expect from him and his work ethic. I have explained my working style and how things are to be done. He has resisted to do things our way. I would like to think I do things professionally. color frames square to the ground. Conscious of gel bounce angle. high hat package etc. He told me tonight he is not a grip.

I am asking all of you for your opinions. I could release and replace him. I could grin and bear it until I got back to LA. I could try to have a private sit down with him. I have fired people before mostly for drugs, stealing, or tardiness. I need a working grip not a gripe. I have a couple guys in the wings waiting.

What should I do?

Robert Duke

Key grip

• Premium Member

I would agree he with him: he's not a grip - and take action accordingly. Trying to work with people whose pride pushes them to be disagreeable and want do everything their way is a huge drain on one's energy.

Can him now and save yourself more grief, you need someone who will work WITH you.

A strong work ethic and a good attitude go along way in making up for lack of experience and it sounds like this person has neither.

My 2 cents.

Bill Schweikert

DP

• Premium Member
Can him now and save yourself more grief, you need someone who will work WITH you.

A strong work ethic and a good attitude go along way in making up for lack of experience and it sounds like this person has neither.

My 2 cents.

Bill Schweikert

DP

Got to agree with Bill, what ever the personality issues if he's affecting the job that's got to take presidence.

Ultimately it's your responsibility if he's not doing his job properly.

Good Luck.

Kieran.

He admitted he is not trained as a grip. This is a basis for a discussion on his future. You need a grip and he is not one. But ( Maybe?) he is a pair of hands that can move stuff. He is at it stands a liability. There could be a chance if he does the job exactly as he is told then you might be able to cover. BUT if not then he has to go. The film cannot be jeopardized by his lack of protocal or skill.

I'm assuming you may get away with a pair of extra hands. And don't want to change things this late in the day. If not then you have a perfectly legitimate case for dismissal.

Thanks all. I talked to my regular best and he seemed to agree with my assesments. I tried to talk to him(mr728), but it seemed to fall on deaf ears. I have a day off and will begin looking for his replacement. I appreciate everyones replies. It just bothers me that he came highly reccomended. Even from an old best, but when I get complaints from the other guys I think its an issue and I am.

Beel whats up? how is the bama? drop me a line. tell bambi hey for me.

Duke