Sony HDw750 - GAMMA settings?

Morgan Peline

Hi,

We're shooting a low budget feature on a HDW750. I've been going through the menus to see what gamma settings were set to. I haven't touched any of the settings as I know you have to be very careful but I've noticed one thing.

On the GAMMA page, the rental house have set

GAMMA SELECT: STD (as opposed to FILM)

GAMMA SEL (STD/FILM): 3 (as opposed to 1, 2 or 4)

Can someone please explain all these 8 different settings? I'm not sure which one to use. We will most likely go straight to DVD but you never know...

I've been told it is better to leave the camera in STD and do you're colour correction later but then why 3 as opposed to any other setting?

Thanks!

The STD 3 gives you the ITU 709 (.45), which is the usual HD setting.

STD 1 & 2 give you Digibeta & SMPTE settings and STD 4 BBC - although the BBC actually recommends using STD 3 on the HDW750.

Standard gamma curve 4 has a high initial gain - I haven't tested, this but it's supposed to be useful if you're going through a grading process in post.

The FILM give you more of a "film look" with the 4 settings supposedly matching various emulsions - they don't really, but do have a pleasant look.

If you're planing a film out I'd tend to use the STD 3, unless you've cleared another setting with your post people.

maybe you have also in the matrix table or elswhere two gammas named V105 and V110.

i wwold recomend those hypergamas is you want to achieve the look with the grading.

those hypergamas gives you the flatest curves.

if you prefer to choose your gamma yourself chek them as keylight tests with actors faces, costumes, make up lighting and a macbeth color chart.

record your tests and go to grading.

you can choose between std and film (4 choices)

then for the gamma select the matrix table and look for the best matrix for your image.

some like to see the final image on stage others relies to the grading there are no rules

experiment so you understand what you are doing.