Rain scene from CineVera Pictures

Please critique our scene, Downpour. Any suggestions on all aspects of the cinematography (composition, lighting, ec) would be really appreciated. We're always trying to get better. This was a test in the cinematography, so certain things (like the audio) is not 100%. Anything you loved/hated?

http://www.cineverapictures.com/clips/downpour.html

post-22280-1183576638_thumb.jpg

God, I TRULY DO hate Quicktime which is not quick nor timely, but be that as it is, visually I thought this piece was terrific. The mood came through brilliantly, I thought the music worked perfectly and was something I had never heard before which is always a plus, the lighting was subtle and very well executed, the color pallet was very nice and set the entire piece off, the rain looked right to me, over all it was too good for the script you put all this effort into, in all honesty. Also, get a better actress next time, the guy was OK.

Hi well i like it how you create the mood of the scene, i like the color correction or the filters you use in the lights, i think the composition and how you use your lights create the perfect match to this scene, low light your key... ;) the opening sequence was great, the first shot very motivate opening... . Just two things i don't like it, first i didn't know how put your camera over the male character i guess to feel something it distracted to me (my point of view) and the second was i felt a problem when the two characters have the encounter because i see the guy then the girl, then when she slap his face you cut to a CU guy, for me that's the traditional way... or maybe that was a edition problem...i don't wanna be a idiot just i tell you what i'm think, perhaps i'm wrong it just personal taste...

And i agree with James next time get a better actress...

Edited by Xavier Plaza

Good, moody pictures, liked the style very much! Some shots (especially the first shot with the water) were a little muddy, but that might have been the Quicktime compression, I am not sure.

I liked the close up shot of the guy, beautiful DOF, though the blue key light on him might be a tad too much. But it worked for me, and the rain playing off his face worked nicely. I didn't particularily find the change to slow motion relevant, and found it a little awkward being there. Could have worked without I think.

Generally VERY nice images, good mood, great atmosphere. Acting could have been better as other repliers mentioned. The music was also a tad too loud, had trouble hearing some of the dialogue, kind of drowned in the music..

Good visual work overall, very solid!

Dude great work 2 things beside what the other guys said

1) the first 2 shots don't much compositionally, separate they are pretty great, but it seems than together you don't need the first one, they are telling the same thing (is raining now)

2) This a personal thing I like more contrasty images, more sharp, and the colours more vibrant, but for what you have already I think is great.

I agree with other guys about the acting, I think the girl need it a better objective to slap the guy and to say her lines the same with the guys reactions, but whatever you have it already and the final product looks great

I really liked your style in this scene. The sound of the rain overtop of the dialogue was pretty distracting- maybe you could consider doing some ADR for that.

The filters you chose worked well and nothing stuck out as distracting in any of the shots. I really like the close up shot of the guy. Good job.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Timothy Wallace
...get a better actress...

In fairness, I think she could have used some better material. Even coming in at the middle of the story, it's hard for me to imagine anyone delivering those lines in a way that would match the depth and intensity conveyed by every other element in the scene.

Tim