Anamorphic flares

Phil Rhodes

• Premium Member

Hi,

I've recently been told that only Panavision anamorphics produce the characteristic horizontal blue flare. While I'm aware that they certainly do, surely any lens with the cylindrical element in the same position will do something similar, even if it isn't the same blue colour?

Apropos of nothing, which anamorphics in PL mount might do this?

Phil

• Premium Member

Any anamorphic prime with a front anamorphic element should create that blue flare, some worse than others (I noticed that the blue is bluer with Primos but more neutral with C-Series.) Certainly I've seen the blue flare in non-Panavision anamorphic movies -- for example, the "Body Snatchers" remake shot with Arriscope lenses by Bojan Bozelli. I've heard that Hawks flare less. I recall a blue horizontal flare in "Logan's Run", shot with Todd-AO 35mm anamorphics by Ernest Lazslo. Can't remember if there were any in "Phantom Menace" (Hawks) that weren't CGI created... I think there was a horizontal flare in "Evita" (JDC anamorphics).

Anyway, Arriscopes, JDC, Hawks, Todd-AO, etc. are all available in PL-mounts.

This maybe just a little bit off topic but?

The use of fake anamorphic flares in non scope pictures real annoys me. Watched Buffy the other day and saw just that ( and you would think that a guy, who watches Buffy would be pretty tolerant ; )

But it?s a phenomenon that?s creeping up a more and more often -- maybe I am just being anal -- but I still don?t like it.

There is a filter called a Streak, I believe, that gives a simulated anamorphic flare which can be oriented to be vertical or horizontal. I tend to find the flare from C's most appealing. The Primos don't flare as easily due to the coating on the lenses which are also responsible for the 'bluer' color David speaks about.

There is actually an interesting test Claudio Miranda did with flares, the results of which are on his website here.

There is a filter called a Streak, I believe, that gives a simulated anamorphic flare which can be oriented to be vertical or horizontal.

I believe the flare can be at whatever angle you want. I've seen a weird, 100 degree (-ish) flare (i.e. not quite vertical) in a music video once. Interesting effect.

Also, flares produced by this filter are the same color as the light source that creates them, so a white light won't give you a cool purple/blue flare.