SCAM WATCH AATON LTR54

Kenny N Suleimanagich

• Premium Member

Hey, one of my auctions from last year just resurfaced.

Scam auction with stolen pic and description from last year

So if you see this pic (which is hilarious because it even has my watermark on it):

04df_1_sbl.JPG

Or read this description:

For Sale, my Arriflex 16S/B camera package. This is my own personal camera and it has just been completely rebuilt by the folks at

www.Arri16S.com

They rebuild the camera using all the original ARRI factory lubricants and set the camera back to original factory specs. The reason they use the original ARRI lubricants is that the fibre gears and other bearing surfaces in the camera need special types of lube to prevent premature wear, something that can be a real problem with cameras that were made dozens of years ago.

Mechanically and optically the camera is in perfect condition, just like it was when it left the ARRI factory so many years ago. Cosmetically I would say it's in pretty good condition with some wear and rubbing of the painted surfaces.

This is the 16S/B version of the camera so it will take professional motion picture camera lenses with the ARRI bayonet mount. These include the Zeiss Super Speeds and the Zeiss 10-100 T2 Mk1 and Mk2 zooms.

The package includes the Zeiss 10-100 T* T3.1 zoom lens. The T* means the lens has the special Zeiss optical coating. It is very sharp. This camera and lens were used to shoot some sample footage that was posted on the www.Arri16S.com web site. You can see the footage at the web pages below:

http://www.arri16s.com/Zeis3-100.htm

http://www.arri16s.com/Zeis3-50.htm

http://www.arri16s.com/Zeis3-25.htm

A few things to note. The camera has the later model eyepiece and still has the viewfinder eyepiece light cover door (many of these have gone missing over the years). The rubber coupling that connects the motor to the internal drive on the camera was replaced in the rebuild (these wear out and get dry rotted, causing the motor to slip and mess up your frame rate and exposure). The camera is one of the later models with a serial number higher than 15,000, which means ARRI INC in New York will still service the camera (they will no longer service cameras with serial numbers below 15,000).

The Arriflex 16 S/B Camera package includes:

Arriflex 16 S/B Camera Body serial # 1551X.

Zeiss 10-100 T* T3.1 zoom lens w/front and rear lens caps, serial # 561667X.

Arriflex 16S/B power cord with 4-pin XLR

Arriflex 16S/B variable speed motor (8 or 12 volt)

Don't bid, it is a scam.

-Tim

• Premium Member

Ebay got wind of that one and its gone now. It will show up again Im sure. It has also shown up in some other classified ads as many do. Any good Aaton should be tracable and should have service records. Mine are all in a drawer as are any repectable owner's papers. If they can't show you anything and no one knows the camera or the seller, only pay in person or not at all. Also a piece of junk will cost you more in the long run than one thats been kept up.

(For any newbie buyers out there)

• Premium Member

Here's a new twist.

I regularly report scam auctions to eBay when the scammers use pictures and text from my previous auctions. And usually after each one I report, I get a "form letter" email from eBay Safe Harbor (that is what eBay calls their division that takes care of scam auctions)thanking me for pointing out the scam auction.

The auction pictures and text I listed above appeared four times this week, so I contacted eBay four different times, one for each auction. And I got back the usual "form letter" emails. So everything is normal. BUT, right after the last "form letter" email I got a second email, from the same eBay Safe Harbor telling me that I needed to go to a particular "eBay web page" and reset my password and log-in information. SO, the scammers/hackers have now hacked the eBay security site and can track who reports scam auctions and then these scammers/crooks try to trick you into giving them your eBay security information so they can hijack your account to post more scam auctions.

Last summer, when these scam auctions were in full swing, when you found one where the scammers hijacked someone's account, if you clicked on the "view seller's other items" link for that account, it would show the same 300 to 400 items, all scam auctions listed as items for sale through that seller's hijacked account. Now when you do the same thing, there are 2400 to 2500 items listed. The scams just keep getting bigger and bigger.

EBay has pretty much turned into a cesspool of fraud.

Buyer be VERY Aware!

-Tim