Difference between 1014xls and 814xls?

Nick Norton

• Premium Member

I have also noticed that the 1014xls (which I own) is much less noisy than the examples of the 814xls I have heard. If shooting MOS it obviously makes no differrence, but if you are shooting with sound that's an important factor to consider. The 1014 is also not silent, but a homemade barney can fix that.

• Premium Member
I have also noticed that the 1014xls (which I own) is much less noisy than the examples of the 814xls I have heard. If shooting MOS it obviously makes no differrence, but if you are shooting with sound that's an important factor to consider. The 1014 is also not silent, but a homemade barney can fix that.

That may have less to do with whether it's an 814 or a 1014 and more to do with if it's ever been serviced. Spectra overahauled a camera and it ended up being one of the quietest Super-8 cameras I have ever heard, but I doubt there is a guarantee that every camera can be made to be super quiet.

I have found that a 6mm wide would be really useful in many enclosed situations that one may find themselves in. I suppose the 6.5 wide on the 1014XLS versus the 7mm wide on the 814XLS helps a bit. Some people claim that the 8-1 zoom of the 814XLS is sharper than the 1014XLS. I don't have an opinion one way or the other.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Allessandro, how much did Spectra overhauling cost? My 814XL-S is a noisy bugger.

Hi Matthew, I'm not sure.

I think they are finishing up their move this weekend so if you send them an email from their website (spectrafilmandvideo.com) it might take them a couple of days to respond.