Children of Men car scene

andrew heggli

I haven't seen te whole movie (I will though), but the car scene I've seen on youtube and I was really stuck on how they did that? How did they have space for a camera man in there!? Was there no cameraman in there? did they use some remoted controled thing? (didn't look like that to me though... shots were too smooth) if anyone knows i'd really appreciate it.

Peace

Andrew

• Premium Member
I haven't seen te whole movie (I will though), but the car scene I've seen on youtube and I was really stuck on how they did that? How did they have space for a camera man in there!? Was there no cameraman in there? did they use some remoted controled thing? (didn't look like that to me though... shots were too smooth) if anyone knows i'd really appreciate it.

Peace

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Take a look at the right hand bottom picture, that is the car rig.

post-3524-1186334968_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

time, money, quality whatever - its up to everyone to create distinctions of their own between them ...

But to just say "It's only money." - yeh, ok - so... or am I mistaken and what exactly is your point ?

I find it more interesting to look at the $$$ spent and the relative efficiency of the process in terms of the outcome (yes, yes, being as subjective as you are prepared to let it be)

• Premium Member
It's only money.

Phil

So in other words, if you gave film students enough money, they could pull that off just as well?

Yes money was a factor but so was ingenuity, imagination, and skill.

WOW, thanks for the posts (almost) everybody! I saw the picture, and yep, it was a machine, good. I just couldn't get my mind around how a cameraman would have space to move in there. and i agree with chris and the others, that wasn't just money, even though they might have had a lot of it. there loads of high budget bull crap thats been put out before.

I will watch the youtube videos also, right after posting this!

Thanks again

Peace

Andrew

• Premium Member

I found the shot amazing as well. The DVD I rented has a long presentation on how they pulled it off. I really respect that they did it live action and didn't lean heavily on CG.

At the same time, I felt that it was counter-intuitive. It drew so much attention to itself that I was distracted from the dramatic objectives. Maybe, I'm just a creature of habit and prefer a conventional cut-around-the-scene approach. Even with my limitations, I respect what they did.

• Premium Member
At the same time, I felt that it was counter-intuitive. It drew so much attention to itself that I was distracted from the dramatic objectives.

That was my feeling as well when I saw the film. I find it a technical feat, not an artistic one. So Phil is right, it is only money.