HDW-750P

Sander van de kerkhof

hi,

I am a ENG camera operator using mainly XDCAM (sony PDW-530) and DIGIBETA (Sony DVW-790).

I client asked me if i am able to shoot something for him on HD using the sony HDW-750P.

Now i have never used this camera and never shot HD before, would it be wise for me to accept the job?

What i'm asking is would this be a big change from shooting on XD or BETA?

thanks,

Sander

• Premium Member
hi,

I am a ENG camera operator using mainly XDCAM (sony PDW-530) and DIGIBETA (Sony DVW-790).

I client asked me if i am able to shoot something for him on HD using the sony HDW-750P.

Now i have never used this camera and never shot HD before, would it be wise for me to accept the job?

thanks,

Sander

Hi Sander,

Please use you full real name as required by this forum.

All Sony cameras can be adjusted for better performance than 'out of the box' so some time with the 750 won't hurt.

The biggest difference is focus & back focus, they become very important with HD. It can be very obvious that the focus is slightly off.

Stephen

• Premium Member

Have a look at the manual here:

www.presteigne.co.uk/getpdf.php?dwn=manual-ops_HDW_750

Then spend some time with the camera at the rental house. They should be very helpful, as it's in their best interest to educate you before they send the camera out with you.

-- J.S.

thanks guys.

I told the client that i will do it under the condition that i get the camera a few days in advance so i can get familier with the camera.

I did speak to one cameraman that does allot of drama productions on HD, he told me that it's very hard to see if your focussed in the viewfinder because it can't handle HD.

is this true and is there a way to work arround this problem?

thnx,

• Premium Member
... it's very hard to see if your focussed in the viewfinder because it can't handle HD.

Yes, do it like it was always done in film -- measure with a tape and use the scale on the lens. A really good HD monitor in your video village might help, but isn't as accurate as stretching a tape. If it's really critical, shoot a diagonal newspaper test and view it on a DLP front projector to refine the accuracy of the lens markings.

-- J.S.

Yes, do it like it was always done in film -- measure with a tape and use the scale on the lens. A really good HD monitor in your video village might help, but isn't as accurate as stretching a tape. If it's really critical, shoot a diagonal newspaper test and view it on a DLP front projector to refine the accuracy of the lens markings.

-- J.S.

Using the tape isn't so easy with ENG as against the Cine Style HD lenses.

Allow the camera to warm up before checking the back focus and also check it if there's a lens or a temperature change.

thanks for your fast reply!

being a Video guy myself i have never done the measuring thing.

so would i measure this from the back of the lens at the bayonet ring or from te focus ring?

thnx

If you're using an ENG style lens you measure from the front of the lens, with a cine style lens from the image plane mark on the side of the camera.

thanks guys.

I told the client that i will do it under the condition that i get the camera a few days in advance so i can get familier with the camera.

I did speak to one cameraman that does allot of drama productions on HD, he told me that it's very hard to see if your focussed in the viewfinder because it can't handle HD.

thnx,

Only the cheaper b/w viewfinder doesn´t show full HD. If you get the HD VFC 30 color viewfinder, you can use the magnify button at its rear to get pixel by pixel focus.

Most crews who rent our 750s use the viewfinder for backfocus.

Also a 750 can be equipped with several extras.

slowshutter - allows for longer exposure times, shooting in extremly dark conditions without noise and blurred motion if necessary.

intervall / slowshutter / memory cache - allows timelapses etc

on board downconverter - use sd sdi/fbas monitoring

wireless audio - as the name says

there are more accessories (gps/metadata, paint remote etc) which will make sense once you get used to the camera.

some tips:

get yourself an memory stick in order to be able to store / load your preset.

insist on getting a lens file for maximal quality / control over the lens.

have fun.