Speed of Light Broken

Tim Tyler

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.jhtm...scispeed116.xml

A pair of German physicists claim to have broken the speed of light - an achievement that would undermine our entire understanding of space and time.

According to Einstein's special theory of relativity, it would require an infinite amount of energy to propel an object at more than 186,000 miles per second.

However, Dr Gunter Nimtz and Dr Alfons Stahlhofen, of the University of Koblenz, say they may have breached a key tenet of that theory.

The pair say they have conducted an experiment in which microwave photons - energetic packets of light - travelled "instantaneously" between a pair of prisms that had been moved up to 3ft apart.

Being able to travel faster than the speed of light would lead to a wide variety of bizarre consequences.

For instance, an astronaut moving faster than it would theoretically arrive at a destination before leaving.

The scientists were investigating a phenomenon called quantum tunnelling, which allows sub-atomic particles to break apparently unbreakable laws.

Dr Nimtz told New Scientist magazine: "For the time being, this is the only violation of special relativity that I know of."

• Premium Member

You fire the laser through the teeth of the (very rapidly) rotating table saw blade and compare the phase differential in the resulting pulses between a mirror that's two feet away, and a mirror that's five miles away.

Phil

• Premium Member
And like Cold Fusion back in the late eighties, I suspect that it will be proven to be something else.

Probably so.

But my perpetual motion machine, that's something else...

that's pretty funny.

I don't think it's a big deal since what they measured probably had no weight.

To move an astronaut faster than the speed of light might require a bit more energy than is available.

On the other hand, what if there is no gravity? Does that mean the weight of the astronaut is the same as what these scientist used for their tests? How much energy does it take to create no gravity for more than a relatively short period of time?

• Premium Member
How exactly, does THAT work? :huh:

Use a fine tooth veneer or plywood blade. Set the laser up on the table top aimed perpendicular to the blade and between a pair of teeth. Set the mirror to return the light to the table saw. As you slowly "inch" the table saw, you see the returning light blink off and on. Note the position of the teeth when you can see the light. Turn the saw on, and observe how far that position moves in the direction of rotation.

Light goes about 186,000 miles per second. So, it takes the photons 10/186,000 = 0.0000538 seconds make the round trip to the mirror and back. If the saw runs at 3600 RPM, that's 60 revolutions per second, or 21,600 degrees per second. Multiply by the time the photons were schlepping out to the mirror and back, and the blade turns 1.16 degrees. On a ten inch blade, that's about a tenth of an inch. For a more accurate measurement, you need to crank faster or use a longer baseline.

The speed of light was first measured in 1849 by Armand Fizeau, using a wheel with 720 holes and a limelight projector.

-- J.S.

• Premium Member
Wouldn't it be easier to just look it up on the net? :D

But what if you didn't have internet access but had a tablesaw, power, a laser, two mirrors, and 5 miles of unbroken space?

But what if you didn't have internet access but had a tablesaw, power, a laser, two mirrors, and 5 miles of unbroken space?

Oh you mean like back in the 16th century when Galileo Galilei discovered that two iron balls of different sizes dropped at the same time will REALLY hurt when they land on your foot....but I digress. If I had a table-saw, power, a laser, two mirrors, and 5 miles of unbroken space, I'd probably go back to work on that death ray I tried to sell to the government during the '80s.....of coarse that's providing the statute of limitations is up and those hikers agree to drop the lawsuit.

• Premium Member
Oh you mean like back in the 16th century when Galileo Galilei discovered that two iron balls of different sizes dropped at the same time will REALLY hurt when they land on your foot....but I digress. If I had a table-saw, power, a laser, two mirrors, and 5 miles of unbroken space, I'd probably go back to work on that death ray I tried to sell to the government during the '80s.....of coarse that's providing the statute of limitations is up and those hikers agree to drop the lawsuit.

It was clearly the hiker's fault for walking in your 5 miles of open space. Idiots. <_<

It was clearly the hiker's fault for walking in your 5 miles of open space. Idiots. <_<

That's EXACTLY what I TOLD the judge! Ahhh, this guy was such a hardass, come on, really, HOW much could a few minor third degree burns really hurt? I mean 40% of the body isn't even HALF and the paramedics GAVE 'them morphine for cryin out load! SHEEEZZ, and that one chick, "My hair won't grow back!" Whine, whine, whine, what'sa matter lady you never heard of a wig? Nuns and Girl Scouts can be SUCH crybabies. <_<

To move an astronaut faster than the speed of light might require a bit more energy than is available.

How about if they broke him down into sub-atomic particles, shot him over at greater than light speed & then reassembled him a-la teleporting?

Which then raises the interesting question of 'What effect will this have on film stock, and will the TSA be involved?' ;)